Valued Contributor

Is it necessary to get the Instant Pot glass lid?

I'm trying to find out if getting the glass lid made my IP is necessary or not. I have some lids that fit, but they don't have a venting hole like the IP lid has. Since one would only probably use the glass lid when slow cooking, sauteing, or making popcorn, is that hole needed? Don't want to spend money on something I don't need. Thanks for any help with this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it necessary to get the Instant Pot glass lid?

No, you would use it primarily for slow cooking.  You can put the pressure lid on loosely, not sealed, and it will work fine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I got one...and never use (for my needs).

I would spend $ on silicone accessories than a clear lid...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper wrote:

I'm trying to find out if getting the glass lid made my IP is necessary or not. I have some lids that fit, but they don't have a venting hole like the IP lid has. Since one would only probably use the glass lid when slow cooking, sauteing, or making popcorn, is that hole needed? Don't want to spend money on something I don't need. Thanks for any help with this.

@qualityshopper

Yes.  You can do so much more with your IP.  Get it.  You will not regret it.  Not expensive.

Good luck. 

Valued Contributor

@qualityshopper...If you already have a lid that fits, you shouldn't have to buy the IP lid... I bought one, but use another lid interchangeably... doesn't matter...seems to work just fine either one... I use a lid when making yogurt, sauteing, or slow cooking....I think I'd hold off buying the extra lid for now and try the one you already have... 

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for replying. Guess I'll wait till much later to see about getting the lid, if at all. Just keep wondering what advantage having a venting hole in the lid offers. I can't really see a good reason to have it, but maybe I'm missing something.

Honored Contributor

I have never needed one,  I put the cooked food in a container when it's done, 

if it needs to cook a bit more on "warm" I leave it uncovered.  

Honored Contributor

I'm using one off of  IMSU pan I got from Target . It has a red edge and tiny hole at top. It fits close enough. No big deal. Mainly to keep out flys if any has gotten in the house from husband running in and out all day like a 5 yr old.

Super Contributor

I just purchased one.  I didn't have a lid that would fit the IP.  

Looking forward to using it.