Valued Contributor

Re: Is There Really A difference In Baking Flour?

I usually use Gold Medal for most baking. Yesterday I spotted a sale on King Arthur flour at my grocery store. So I bought several bags of various varieties. I baked up a couple loaves with their unbleached, high-protein bread flour. It was like kneading silk it was so light and soft. The bread baked up very tender, moist and dense. And it rose twice as fast as bread dough usually rises. I'm definitely going to continue buying King Arthur. 

According to the package the company is 100 percent employee-owned. And has been for twenty years. It has also been ranked as one of the best places to work in Vermont. That seals it for me. Smiley Very Happy 

I tried Lilly bread flour a few years ago, and it was pretty good I thought. Better than regular flour. But my family couldn't tell the difference between it and regular flour. So I never went to the trouble of buying it again. I was buying it from Amazon. I don't think they carry it any longer. 

Respected Contributor

I use Pillsbury All Purpose Flour. Years ago I read an article that compared flours and Pillsbury turned out to be better for baking.   

For Whole Wheat Flour, I like King Arthur. I freeze it, since whole wheat flour goes bad faster than regular flour.

Swansdown Cake Flour is wonderful for recipes that call for cake flour (cakes, etc.).

Esteemed Contributor

I also reach for Pillsbury. I do not recall baking w/ King Arthur, unless something called for a specialty flour.