Super Contributor

I'm so tempted to get one of these French (Dutch) ovens but the price is sooo steep. Are these really worth it or is there a comparable cast-iron enameled Dutch oven that performs as well and has great reviews?

Honored Contributor

Yes, Le creuset and Staub are worth it IMO. I've never used the Lodge enameled cast iron so I can't comment on it other than to say it's made in China unlike the other two brands above. I wouldn't buy any of the "celebrity" chef brands though, they all have negative reviews as far as longevity.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor
I love my le Creuset and would not trade it for another brand. My mother gave my my first Dutch oven over 40 years ago, and I still use it. I bought additional pieces at a LC outlet store so that made it more affordable. Nothing can hurt it. It is heavy though, so be prepared!
Honored Contributor

IMO; le Creuset is worth it.

Valued Contributor

If you like to cook you can't beat Le Crueset. I have all of their enamel pots and have had them for many years. My pots still look like new and as I've said they are the best and worth every penny.

Trusted Contributor

Go with the best! I bought one of the lesser expensive brands years ago. I ordered it from Amazon, but don't remember the name. Anyway, I hardly used it. Everything stuck to the bottom and I couldn't get it clean. Also, the paint chipped off in several places and it got rust spots.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Contributor
I am an avid cook and own two le Creuset dutch ovens as well as a 10" Lodge frying pan. These are my daily use pieces and I have had them more than ten years. The Le Creuset has held up fantastically and I purchased mine at an outlet as "seconds". The Lodge pan is not enamel/cast iron, but just raw cast iron. I use it for everything else. America's Test Kitchen did a enamel cast iron test a few years ago and the LeCreuset was their favorite, but the Tramontina (significantly less$$) was their second favorite. just interesting trivia.
Valued Contributor
I inherited an oval baker from my mother. I think it is more than 60 years old and I use it often. It doesn't look pristine, but, boy, what a workhorse! Yes, quality is worth it.
Super Contributor

Yes, definitely.

Honored Contributor
Yes, Le Creuset is excellent quality. Have several LC vessels. Bought a Martha Stewart "knockoff" version at Macy's at a lower price, but within a year the porcelain started to chip--better to spend the extra $$$ for something that will perform consistently & last a lifetime!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri