Respected Contributor

With so many tried and true Instant Pot models around, I would never purchase one that has just come out or wait for one only with more fancy presets.  When all is said and done, they are only a pressure cooker.  And the new models have not yet worked out all the kinks.

When I purchased mine, I went with the one that has over 20,000 reviews on Amazon which were just about all favorable.  Then, QVC came out with that model for an incredible price, so I went ahead and ordered that.  And I am very happy.

Respected Contributor

Well, I did make those pineapple upside down cakes today in the pressure cooker.  They came out as promised.  The first cake was split 3 ways with me also having a piece and two for friends.  I will take the second cake to a friends house as my contribution to lunch.  So far the cake has been a big hit.  It is really very moist and fluffy.  

Thanks for posting about this.

Super Contributor

If considering the purchase of an Instant Pot or any other electric PC, forget about how many presets it has. Most people do not use the presets. In the case of the Instant Pot they use the Manual setting (now called Pressure Cook in the newer models - but it's the same function). Also you'll likely see that in the vast majority of pressure cooking cookbooks or recipes you'll find on the Internet that presets are not used. The recipe will just say something like, "Cook at high pressure for x number of minutes." In that case you'll just press the Manual (or Pressure Cook) button and make sure you've selected the amount of cooking time specified. I've had my Instant Pot for 2+ years and have never used any preset. The exception would be if I was making yogurt but I haven't made that yet. 

As many of you know, the newest model Instant Pot Max is due out this month (June). If I didn't already have an Instant Pot, I'd probably wait to see if I might want that model. Know however that it's predicted to cost $200. While I have no inside information, I'd be very surprised if, on Amazon Prime Day, the Max was the model being sold. I don't think IP will have any need to sell a bunch of the new model at a great price. If IP sells an IP on Amazon Prime Day I'd predict it will be DUO Plus or possibly the Ultra. 

Personally I'm still hoping that QVC will offer the IP Max - perhaps at a great price as a TSV. If they did, I'd snap it up in a minute.

Super Contributor

Clem wrote, 

"With so many tried and true Instant Pot models around, I would never purchase one that has just come out or wait for one only with more fancy presets.  When all is said and done, they are only a pressure cooker.  And the new models have not yet worked out all the kinks."

I don't think you have data to support this claim. Is it possible that a new model of an IP (or any other PC) has kinks, not worked out? Sure, it's possible, but I don't think that's been generally true for IP models with exception of the IP SMART. The vast majority of IP models have been phenomenal successes.