Super Contributor
Sammijo, I'm glad you brought it up! If you go to the q & a section of the tsv, someone asked about the same thing! I'd type more on this reply, but I'm using my phone and its not particularly user friendly. But go check it out. The answers are surprising.!
Respected Contributor

for me anyway, a stove top PC is a lot easier since when I turn my gas stove down the pressure goes right down with it. I feel I have more control but than I am use to using a gas stove since that was all my gram and mom both had as well and I grew up cooking with gas.

When I use my electric one(don't often) I have to remember it doesn't go right down just because I turn it down, takes a while just like an electric stove.

The reason I got the electric PC is, is from HSN, it also came with a regular lid so I can also use it as a regular electric stock pot when I need an extra burner to make anything plus I can take it outside in summer and plug it in on the patio as I do my crock pot so as not to heat the house up.

It is just a matter of preference I think and what you got use to using.

Respected Contributor
On 9/10/2014 misspammie said:
On 9/10/2014 birkin baby said: Oops,I thought this thread was about something else...LOL.

me too! was going to make a 'cute' remark!!

Like this...instant pot....is that anything like instant grits or instant oatmeal??? Haha
Respected Contributor
On 9/10/2014 birkin baby said: Oops,I thought this thread was about something else...LOL.
OMG, so did I!!! I thought, what a Chia Pet? Hahahaha
Contributor

I just ordered an Instant Pot from Amazon--the DUO 6 quart.  After reading reviews, I decided that paying a lot more for the Bluetooth connection didn't really offer that much of a benefit.  Search on YouTube for some great recipe video recipes.  I am transitioning to whole foods plant based too and feeling a lot better and my vegan and WFPB friends rave about the Instant Pot so I decided to take the plunge.  I had a CE pressure cooker before, several years ago, but I never really took to it.  I think I will like it for a plant based diet.

Honored Contributor

@KY_Liz wrote:

I just ordered an Instant Pot from Amazon--the DUO 6 quart.  After reading reviews, I decided that paying a lot more for the Bluetooth connection didn't really offer that much of a benefit.  Search on YouTube for some great recipe video recipes.  I am transitioning to whole foods plant based too and feeling a lot better and my vegan and WFPB friends rave about the Instant Pot so I decided to take the plunge.  I had a CE pressure cooker before, several years ago, but I never really took to it.  I think I will like it for a plant based diet.

KY_Liz, you will love your InstantPot!  I have had mine for over a year now and you couldn't pry that thing out of my hands.  I had a CE before, and to tell you the truth I didn't have anywhere near the success I have had with the InstantPot.

And congratulations on your plant based diet . . . I wish I could follow in your footsteps but I need to get a lot more disciplined for that . . . Smiley Sad

Contributor

Disciplined...or desperate!  Really.  My motivation is trying to reduce the pain I live with constantly.  Started feeling better right away and I hope that progress continues.

And I'm not entirely disciplined.  I can't wait until the fall chill comes so I can stop with the Blizzards, shakes, and Frosties.  LOL

Super Contributor

"I have never owned a pressure cooker before but I am considering one for the reason of my having newly converted to a plant-based diet. I am thinking beans, rice, and other things would be great to cook in this. Any of you have one? If so any tips and advice would be appreciated!

cndkrick,

Pressure cookers are especially wonderful for those on plant-based diets. I'm assuming you eat a lot of beans, lentils, veggies and grains etc. and they do a beautiful job with all of those. Check out the Jill Nussinow, the Veggie Queen on the Internet. She has two wonderful vegan pressure cooking cookbooks. Her website is wonderful too. I also recommend checking the Instant Pot Beginners Veg Support Facebook group. Also check the Instant Pot Community Facebook group. It's not a plant-based only group but has more than 1.5 million members, many of whom are plant-based.

Super Contributor

Is the stovetop model cooker easier to use? Absolutely not! In fact, the contrary is true. I own 3 stovetops and two Instant Pots. Since I purchased the IPs, I've not used my stovetops. A stovetop always needs a bit of monitoring. You bring it to pressure on high (gas or electric) and then turn it down to maintain pressure. Finding that perfect temperature be a bit tricky. Once it's set properly, you still have to look at it now and then to make sure pressure's still okay - not too high or low. With an electric, I set the pressure to high and set the amount of cooking time. Pressure will be reached automatically and cooking will be automatically. No monitoring necessary. 

Most practical and most common size is the 6 quart. The VAST majority of recipes online and in pressure cooking cookbooks presume a 6 quart. There are two of us as well. Remember you can always make a smaller quantity in your PC if desired. Yet the 6 quart will be fine for soups as well. Don't be tempted to get an 8 quart as your only PC as the vast majority of recipes assume a 6 quart. Also know that the larger the PC, the longer it takes to come to pressure.

Respected Contributor
I have a roast and veg in mine right now. I use it several times a week. I've got an 8qt Elite and a 6qt Wolfgang Puck that I haven't used since. I do use the 8qt for larger cuts of meat and may use the 6at Wolf if I need to do more than one thing in a PC. I also have a rice cooker that I use for other things when I'm using my PC. I love it!