Frequent Contributor
So funny I ordered an instant pot pressure cooker from amazon this morning. I like that it's stainless with no Teflon. The reviews are great, so hopefully I'll love it.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The 7 in 1 model is really nice. I've had a stove top pressure cooker for 20 years but I'm tempted by the Instant Pot. I like that you can make yogurt in it too.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I just checked out the Instant Pot on Amazon and the only thing it does that the TSV doesn't seem to is make yogurt - well, it has a dedicated yogurt button anyway. BUT, it's about double the price of the TSV for that model.

I've never used a pressure cooker, but my Aunt swore by it. She made the most tender corn on the cob in her pressure cooker.

I'm very tempted by the TSV CE pressure cooker as it will brown in the pot before using either the slow cooker mode or the pressure mode. (Can you brown meat BEFORE pressure cooking? Would it explode? As I said, I'm never had one before.)

Super Contributor
Sammijo, one major difference between the two is the instant pot's insert is 100% stainless. This is important if you're trying to avoid non stick cooking surfaces
Trusted Contributor

Sammijo, it has a brown/saute function to use for browning.

I'm looking at the one on Amazon also. I have a 4qt but been wanting a 6qt. If only the TSV had a stainless insert rather than nonstick I would buy from Q. It's worth the xtra money to me to have the stainless.

doglover, thanks for the recipe. I LOVE cabbage.

Respected Contributor
Spamming, you can brown meat or chicken before pressure cooking. Most models today have a brown or salute feature. The TSV is a great price for what it offers: you wouldn't be disappointed with pressure cooking-there is so much you can do: you can even make cheesecake in it! If you decide to get this, I would also encourage you to purchase Bob Warden's books"Slow Food Fast", I like the first volume more than the second, but they are both really good books that don't use hard to find ingredients and are 100 percent user friendly. Poodlepet
Respected Contributor
I apologize Sammijo my Kindle put in its own spelling and I should have proofed. Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

I also don't have any non-stick pots/pans, I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to stove top cooking. All my pots/pans are tri-ply stainless steel and I have an induction cooktop which I adore! Yeah, sometimes things stick, but not if I cook them carefully enough. So, the evils of a non-stick coating have kind of escaped my radar. (I feel like an idiot!)

Why would having a non stick pot be an important consideration? Just asking. Thanks for the info.

Respected Contributor
It is still possible to burn and caramelize sugars, particularly if you don't use enough liquid. That being said, I once made some beef ribs and the sauce used sugar. I followed directions and there was still plenty of liquid in the pot, but there was an area where it burned. It would have been a little time consuming cleaning stainless, but not impossible. I have stainless pots and pans, and when sugars have burned, I always get them back into solution by boiling. Proteins ( eggs) are a different story: I use baking soda vinegar and kosher salt. Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor

Poodle, no problem with the name. Spell check will do that sometimes! DH and I don't eat eggs cooked alone, per se, so that's probably why I don't have a non-stick pan.

I do know that there's a PFOA issue that I assume the TSV would be free of, even though they haven't mentioned it on the presentations. I'm going to peruse the item online and see if I should be afraid of the non-stick.

Thanks for the info, Poodle.