Valued Contributor

Instant Pot caller just a few moments ago

A lady just called a few moments ago and was talking about a recipe by Meredith Laurence that she makes in this pot.  I was in my kitchen cooking and didn't catch the name of the recipe.  Does anyone know or have the recipe?  I think it was a pasta recipe she was talking about.

Valued Contributor

Re: Instant Pot caller just a few moments ago

Rigatoni with Italian sausage

Super Contributor

I was really thinking about getting an instant pot, but many of the recipes they show seem to come out really runny and wet.  is that the the norm? i saw the chicken, rice, and bean recipe come out with a lot of water on the bottom and the vendor scooped out the top of the food onto lettuce. She also tried to show the chicken was frozen by tapping it on the side of the instant pot, but was tapping the tongs onto the pot and not the chicken! 
I wonder how many people they’ve fooled by doing this trick, plus by telling people the food is soooo good. i don’t want watery, soupy food. 
Valued Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

Rigatoni with Italian sausage

Thank you Judy0330!

Honored Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:
I was really thinking about getting an instant pot, but many of the recipes they show seem to come out really runny and wet.  is that the the norm? i saw the chicken, rice, and bean recipe come out with a lot of water on the bottom and the vendor scooped out the top of the food onto lettuce. She also tried to show the chicken was frozen by tapping it on the side of the instant pot, but was tapping the tongs onto the pot and not the chicken! 
I wonder how many people they’ve fooled by doing this trick, plus by telling people the food is soooo good. i don’t want watery, soupy food. 

@Justholdingon If you don't have an instant pot how do you know it is all tricks and fooling people and bad watery food?

Honored Contributor

On my TV you could tell the chicken was still mostly frozen, I do believe it was partially thawed from sitting out under the TV lights.

I did not notice the water but I would think it would have some moisture just as a slow cooker does.  I dont have an IP so Im not sure.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Justholdingon Some will disagree but - yes - runny and wet.  I don't like soupy ribs - sloppy chicken BUT the IPot is handy to make chicken & biscuit type dish.  Meat will be well cooked and falling off the bones so you can collect the meat quickly and proceed to make a casserole or whatever. 

I prefer baked dry meats with nice seasoning crust.  IPot has it's place - I don't use often.

Valued Contributor

While I do not have the Insta Pot I have the NuWave 8qt and the CE 2qt.  When I made ribs in the 8 qt. I put the rub on them and then put in the pot with a can of soda, just like I do in the oven.  From what I have read you need at least 1 cup of liquid.  They did not have too much liquid.  My stews have all come out just fine.  I do love to cook my vegetables in the 2qt, they only take a  minute or two and I don't have to watch them.  Potatoes come out great for mashed. I can't wait to experiment more this fall and winter with pressure cooking.

Contributor

I find my IP to be useful for so many things. Tonight I am doing a corned beef brisket in the IP--in 45 mins it's cooked to perfection. I will cook the veggies in a pan on the stove top using the cooking liquid from the meat. The IP does require liquid to cook, but from there comes wonderful sauces, gravies, soups, stews, etc. It steams rice to perfection and steel cut oats quickly without any leftover liquids.