Contributor

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I have been researching this item (Target, Amazon, Bed, Bath and Beyond).  I'm kind of confused....as far as I can see, there are three sizes....right?  Then there is a 6-1 and 7-1 and I think the 7-1 is an added feature to make yogurt (which I wouldn't use).  They're all the same except for the size (6, 8 or 10 quarts).....am I right?  They all have the pressure cooker setting.....right?  Is there one that doesn't have the pressure cooking setting as this something I wouldn't use.  Thank you for your help.

Honored Contributor

It IS a little confusing.

Here are the specs from the main website.

http://instantpot.com/benefits/specifications-and-manuals/

I got mine specifically for the yogurt function (7-1),

but my second choice would be the 6-1/5quart. 

I'm guessing you are wanting a slower cooker/rice cooker?

Even though you wouldn't use the pressure cook feature

(btw...try it once & you'll use it for more than you think!),

it's a quality machine....especially with the stainless steel removable 

liner.   That's the most important part.  

A new 6-1/5 quart is in the $70 range on Amazon.

And Target has the 6-1/6quart for $100 range.

I use it for everything....rice, steam/sauté/brown vegetables.

Also, there are Facebook groups just for Instant Pot users.

Lots of videos online, as well.

HTH!

Contributor

Sidsmom......thank you so much for your reply.  It was very helpful.  I'm going to Target on Tuesday to make my selection.  Again, thank you for your time in answering my questions.

Honored Contributor

@tassimo

You're welcome!

After you get it home & start playing w/ it, report back...'K?  

💛

Super Contributor

I got mine last fall when Amazon had a deal of the day. It is wonderful. I also got the glass lid and I bought the cook's essentials silicone steamer set here on the Q. I just love my 7in1. I didn't think that I would use it as much as I did.

There are a lot of cookbooks for PCs. I bought a couple of them and didn't care for them. And, then I found the Holy Grail. It is The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Laurel Randolph. The reason I like it is it is specifically for the IP and it has a lot of detailed instructions and tips for the new user. I was a newbie at pressure cooking and needed something easy to understand with good recipes. I got it at Amazon. I think it was like $9-10. Worth every penny. So are the glasss lid and the silicone steamer set.

One hint: I bought two extra silicone rings. They tend to develop a smell of whatever you're cooking. I switch them out and let them air dry on a hook on my back porch.

Trusted Contributor

For anyone eating Paleo, there is a new Instant Pot cookbook coming out in January that you can pre-order on Amazon.

Paleo Cooking With Your Instant Pot: 80 Incredible Gluten- and Grain-Free Recipes Made Twice as Delicious in Half the Time by Jennifer Robins

Paperback – January 3, 2017

Valued Contributor

Also LOVE! my 7-1 instant pot..make everything from yogurt to rice to roaststo soup to cheesecake, etc, etc, etc...I also bought an extra seal and the glass lid. 

Comes in really handy for a slow cooker or just to keep things warm while serving a buffet. I've had mine for two years and use it several times a week..so far, no problems.

You won't be sorry if you decide to get the 7-1 , 6 qt. as it has many functions and lots of room to cook for a larger family..

Money well spent and would buy again if something happens to it.  I don't know how I got a long without it!

Contributor

Sidsmom......just to let you know, I went to Target this morning and purchased the Instant Pot (the last one by the way).  It was 129.95 but mentioned it was on line for 119.95 and they honored that price.  This is the 7-in-1 with the yogurt feature.  I'm leaving on a mini vacation but when I get back home I will start using it and let you know how I like it.

Super Contributor

Poodlepet2 wrote:

........ Some people say they will never make yogurt, but never say never.....I gave up dairy, and I could buy vegan yogurt ( very expensive!), but it's also laden with sugar....and now I have the ability to make any non-dairy yogurt I can think of.....

The on-line support abounds and so do the recipes from around the world. If anybody is on the market for a pressure cooker, this is the best.

Poodlepet2

I apologize for not responding sooner.  THANKS for the input!  I think that, for the extra money that a Duo 6-qt. would cost (maybe $20 or so on Amazon), in addition to seriously believing I'll never make yogurt, I'll skip it.  You're right about never saying never.  I shouldn't say it, but I am.  :-)  I'll bite the bullet and put up with the odd handle on top of the Lux 60 6-qt. someday. That is, unless they re-design the Lux and put a Duo handle on, instead.