Honored Contributor

Re: In search of recipe involving hot milk and bread?

Sorry I can't help with a recipe, but the question brought up a memory of a breakfast my mother often ate - a slice of bread (probably stale!), a pat of butter on top, and some scalded milk steamy hot poured over it.

In retrospect, she was undoubtedly leaving the boxed cereals for us kids and making do, but she seemed to like what she was eating.

Occasional Contributor

When I was a kid, my mother who went through the Depression as a child, and came from a pretty poor immigrant Italian fammily with 9 kids, used to make us what she called panna latte (bread & milk). She would toast crusty Italian bread, spread butter on it, sprinkle a little sugar and pour hot milk on it. I thought it was delicious then and to this day I think of it fondly. By the time I came along we were an average middle class family, and we kids did not think of it as anything but a treat.

Trusted Contributor

I still eat Milk Toast but we poached a couple eggs in the milk,never had it with sugar.Milk Toast used to be on cafe menus.
Respected Contributor

My parents lived through the Depression also, and I was from a large family without much money. My mom used to save the "heels" from loaves of bread in a bag...if we wanted a snack we could have a bowl of bread and milk. Shredded a couple of the slices of that bread into a bowl and poured some cold milk over it. It tasted good. I'd have it now, but I don't need the carbs!!

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 tigriss said:

I'm looking for a recipe that my co-worker told me about. Her mother would make a bread, roll it out flat, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, roll it up, put it in a loaf pan, and pour hot milk over it, then bake it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm looking for the name and a formal recipe as the bread part could be yeast bread or just bread.

It is an old fashioned recipe. She was born in 1949, was the youngest of the children, and lived in northern Mississippi.

I would try doing that, add some eggs to cold milk with a little salt and vanilla and brown sugar, pour that over the rolled up bread and bake that, maybe with a little more brown sugar on top, for bread pudding. You could sprinkle nuts on top, add some rum, or throw a little pumpkin in the custard mix. LOTS of ways to make a quick dessert for the holidays.

Esteemed Contributor

I found one where you pour cream over the rolls before you bake them. It doesn't state hot cream.

Easy Cinnamon Rolls
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed (I use the brand Rhodes)
(You certainly could make your own dough!)

2 tablespoons melted butter

2/3 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/3 cup heavy cream

2/3 cup sifted confectioner's sugar

1 tablespoon milk

dash of vanilla

~

PREPARATION

Roll dough into a rectangle, about 8x6 inches. Brush with the melted butter. Combine brown sugar, chopped nuts, and cinnamon. Sprinkle over dough. Starting at long edge, roll up, jelly roll fashion; moisten edges and seal.

Cut roll into 20 slices. Place rolls, cut side down, into two 8 inch lightly buttered round cake pans. Let rise for about 1 1/2 hours. until doubled. Pour the cream over the rolls and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Combine confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla, adding more sugar or milk if necessary. ( double this part!) Drizzle over rolls while slightly warm.

Makes 20 yummy cinnamon rolls!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/20/2014 fancy pantsy said:
On 10/20/2014 Still Raining said:

I wonder if these kind of things are left over from the depression. My mom was a teenager during the depression and she used to give us toast in hot milk in a bowl with sugar. Seems to me she used to say that is what they had for dinner sometimes.

yes! ... milk toast !! my mother would make us that too once in a while. she would say ' i'll make you a nice bowl of milk toast'

Oh, geez, milk toast : ( Whenever I came down with a serious flu or something that had me in bed for days on end, my mother would make me milk toast. Her version, which was a Michigan version, was to heat up milk, toast one piece of bread and poach an egg. The milk went into the soup bowl first, then the toast, until it was soaked, then the egg on top. Everything was slimy and it was all I could do to get it down. I'm almost gagging just thinking about it.

Funny how certain foods can be very off-putting.

Enjoy your milk toast. I'll be eating blueberry pancakes!

Edited to add that when I think of hot milk & bread I think of bread pudding.

Respected Contributor

This is a variation of the Italian version. My dad was from a Portugese background and grew up in New Orleans where French bread ruled. He often told me that he and his two brothers would take a loaf of French bread, hollow it out and slather sweetened condensed milk on it. In fact, it was somewhat of a staple during WW II because, of all things- sugar rationing!!!! I still can't figure out why milk and sugar were rationed so stringently, but I have heard from a lot of people in my parent's generation that sweetened condensed milk was readily available. Poodlepet
Esteemed Contributor

Old Timey Butter Roll Dessert

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients

For the Butter Rolls

• 2 Cups Self Rising Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Shortening
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1 stick (1/2 Cup) Butter, softened (course you can use margarine, don’t make no special trips to the store!)
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

For the Milk Sauce

• 2 Cups milk
  • 2/3 Cups Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

1. Cut shortening into flour really well with a fork. Stir in milk.

2. On a floured surface, dump out dough and press together with your hands to form a ball.

3. Roll out into a rectangle (about 7×10 in size). Spread softened butter over dough and then sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon over top. Roll it up like a jelly roll and press it together lightly.

4. Cut into nine slices about one inch thick each. Place into a lightly greased 8×8 baking dish.

5. In medium sauce pot, combine all milk sauce ingredients. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to bubble lightly. Pour over rolls in pan.

6. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until rolls are lightly browned on top.

7. Allow to sit for a few minutes once it is done for the rolls to soak up more sauce. After you put each roll on a plate, spoon more sauce over it.

Respected Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Sabatini2 said:

Hi tigriss! I've got a few questions! I find this stuff fascinating. Smile

It sounds like bread pudding to me.

If her mom made the bread for this, maybe it was a very eggy bread? If so, it'd be a version of bread pudding.

OR, maybe your friend's memory is hazy, and perhaps didn't know that some eggs had been added to the hot milk which was poured over the bread?

What was the texture when it was eaten? Bread or cake-like, or pudding-ish?

Inquiring minds would like to know. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

ETA: In your description of how the 'bread' was rolled out flat, then sprinkled w/ cinnamon & sugar and rolled up - it sounds like making cinnamon rolls.

It is similar to bread pudding, but apparently she only like it when it was hot from the oven. She didn't mention how the bread was made or the texture. It does seem like a cross between a cinnamon roll come tres leches come bread pudding. It was probably all made from scratch during very hard times.