Esteemed Contributor

In case you wondered - Martha Stewart's side dishes

I didn't purchase them for Thanksgiving so decided to cook up the mac & cheese and spinach.  Here to report - both very odd  - 3 cheese blend in the mac sort of sharp with something (chopped onion perhaps) throughout.  Very thick with tons of elbow mac. - - - The spinach doesn't have a whole lot of flavor - very green and sloppy  = can't see anything else in it...just spinach.  Rather 'blah'  I have a much better recipe.  Live & Learn

Honored Contributor

Re: In case you wondered - Martha Stewart's side dishes

For all the recent popularity of mac and cheese, I still like my own best and I prefer most of my veggies without all that much added.  So -  I wish I were surprised that even Martha disappoints.  I'm not though. 

The only year we ever ordered a take-out turkey dinner, we didn't like any of the side dishes although the turkey itself wasn't all that bad. 

Have you tried Martha's turkey yet?

Esteemed Contributor

No turkey ordered - relatives not fond of the bird.   Pork Roast won out this year.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

No turkey ordered - relatives not fond of the bird.   Pork Roast won out this year.

Sounds good, maybe for Christmas.  Ham won out at our house.  All the guys took a vote and they want ham but they want all the Thanksgiving sides.  Easy for me.  My daghter is bringing the ham.  I bought a turkey breast and I'll slice it thin and platter it....gotta have some turkey on the table.

Honored Contributor

Why would you put onions in mac and cheese? yuck

Honored Contributor

@fthunt

I'm a long time fan of Martha's, but I've never liked her recipes. It seems they're always just a little bit fancier than I care for, with unfamiliar ingredients.  I'm sorry you're not happy with your purchase, but it doesn't surprise me.  Is it possible to get a refund?  At the very least, you should post a review.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

missy1, I thought of Eric Theiss, he makes a French Onion  Soup Mac and Cheese and People raved over it. He cooked it in the Power Xl Pressure Cooker. So I guess onions can work in Mac and Cheese.I saw it and it looked delisious.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

missy1, I thought of Eric Theiss, he makes a French Onion  Soup Mac and Cheese and People raved over it. He cooked it in the Power Xl Pressure Cooker. So I guess onions can work in Mac and Cheese.I saw it and it looked delisious.

I only said that because I hate onions! green ones, ok.

Respected Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I do have her stuffing and mac & cheese side dishes in the freezer.  Will use them sometime before New Year's.  Hope to like them.  Hope the mac & cheese are at least as good as the Stouffer's ones.  Will report back what I think.

Honored Contributor

I can appreciate Martha's varied skills as a homemaking guru, but I have never thought she was much of a cook.  I tried a couple of her recipes years ago and they were very boring (no complexity to the flavors.)  

Her baking skills seem pretty spot on though.