Honored Contributor

I hate to waste food.  My husband didn't care for the kind of bread I got him last week while he was sick.  So he got what he wanted yesterday.  (Sure it was the meds).  But I don't like to pitch things that have expired.  I feel like I've wasted food.  I try to be very careful about not wasting.

Do you ever feel sometimes, you waste some? 

Honored Contributor

I know that I waste lettuce. I have a salad every day, so I overbuy, and it never lasts long enough. I can't see to get it right.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

I do and I hate it, too. I only go to the grocery store on the weekend and it's difficult to guess what will last and how many to get, etc.

Valued Contributor

I hate to waste food $ also but sadly I do weekly. I thaw fish or meat and then don't feel like cooking for several days. Then I feel like it has sat in the fridge too long. Yuck- to the trash. I have cut back on purchasing produce because I really use to waste a lot. 

Honored Contributor

We do not. We feed many woodland critters. One time a store had bread really cheap so we bought a cart full and used that. We also save ends of bread all summer in the freezer and give to the woodland critters. We try really hard not to waste  food.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I hate wasting food too , but think I have gotten much better about how much I cook for each dinner and cook  enough for lunches the next day. Not a huge fan of leftovers either. I am not one to magically transform them into a delicious meal the next day. I try to cook good tasting recipes that don't take alot of ingredients, tho. I rarely if every, buy or use anything processed; it is all from scratch. And we cut way back on any type of white carbs too, so have to come up with subs for those things. But the thing that ALWAYS goes bad are those stupid bags of salad-------within 2 days I have to toss them. And I make sure they are dry and put them in the green boxes but still have to toss them out. Have better luck buy the heads of lettuce------still thats a ton of greens to use.I actually have better luck with the greens that come in the clamshell packaging.

Respected Contributor

I buy the butter lettuce now that comes in the round plastic container.  There are the roots on the bottom, and I find that if you add a little water to the bottom of the container right after to buy it so the root are in water, it lasts a long time (couple weeks).  Its a little more expensive then other lettuce, but having it last more then a week is well worth it.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I do waste food when I stock up.I live close to grocery stores so I now shop daily for the perishables..I find at this time of the year stuff goes bad quickly and as I pass a store every day on my way home from the gym it is easy to just get what I need for the day.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I hate to waste food.  My husband didn't care for the kind of bread I got him last week while he was sick.  So he got what he wanted yesterday.  (Sure it was the meds).  But I don't like to pitch things that have expired.  I feel like I've wasted food.  I try to be very careful about not wasting.

Do you ever feel sometimes, you waste some? 

@qualitygalWhat good is it to keep food too old to eat?  I would far rather throw out a loaf of bread than chance being sick.  It just isn't worth worrying about. 

Honored Contributor

I know for a fact that I waste food.  I don't want to and it's never my intention, but I know it happens.  I'll have a menu plan and shop accordingly, then something happens to change the plan.  I've also forgotten about certain things I've bought when they are in the garage fridge or buried in the deep freeze.  While stocking up and having a lot of variety has been my M.O. for a lot of years while raising our kids, now that it's DH & I we eat a lot more simply most of the time so I'm working on changing my purchasing habits and adhere to my list buying only what we really need.