Super Contributor

Ideas on using pannini grill

Kids are coming this weekend, and I have a new pannini grill, wanting to break it in. Any ideas on types of bread, combos of meats/cheeses? Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ideas on using pannini grill

Use it just like a normal grill pan. Cheese sammies are good, maybe a toasted pb and j if nuts aren't an issue. Even french toast or hash browns are easy. I do toasted tuna/cheese sandwiches too. I have done all these in my waffle iron; don't have a paninni grill.

Esteemed Contributor

Grilled cheese, peanut butter and bacon, whatever sandwiches they like.

For an extra kick, put mayo on the outside of the bread, the side that touches the grill.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I have iron grates on mine.

Cut chicken breasts thin...butterfly??

Buy different breads !

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Frequent Contributor

pick their fav kind of meat, add a slice of cheese, a bit of mayo, relish (I use Wickles...little spicy and delish).  No butter needed.  Takes just a few minutes to produce a lovely, solid sandwich.  Serve with soup.  Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Hi - I learned about this sandwich when I studied in France years ago. When I got a panini, it was the first thing I made. Everyone loves it, and my DS who's in college has already asked if I will make it in the next couple of days after he's home!

Croque Monsieur (makes 4)

Bechamel sauce

1 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1 Tbsp. flour

3/4 c. milk

pinch of cayenne pepper

salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until the mixture is golden brown. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Simmer and keep stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Turn off heat and add cayenne, and if needed, salt and pepper. Set aside. 

8 slices French or sourdough bread, sliced thickly

1/4 c. oil

3 tsp. Dijon mustard

1/4 lb. Gruyere cheese, sliced thinly

8 slices deli ham

Preheat panini grill. Spread Dijon on 4 of the bread slices and top with 2 slices of ham. Spread the sauce evenly on top of the ham. Layer cheese on top and top with another slice of bread. Oil both outer sides of sandwich and cook on panini press about 5 minutes until sandwich is golden and crispy.

For a Croque Madame, add a fried egg to top of sandwich! (DD likes it this way - I do too!)

(I always double the recipe for the sauce, as we all like extra to dip our sandwiches in!) 

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

Kids are coming this weekend, and I have a new pannini grill, wanting to break it in. Any ideas on types of bread, combos of meats/cheeses? Thanks in advance.

I'd ask the kids, as they'll be the ones eating them. I like sourdough bread for most sandwiches, but if the kids hate that, what I like won't really help you much.

I like wheat bread with fig preserves, brie, and thinly sliced apples or pears. Ham, turkey, and swiss is great. I also like bacon and cheese.

Trusted Contributor

I received a panini grill for a wedding present 10 years ago and I was sure it was going to spend it's life in the box in the basement.  Well, that gadget has received almost daily use!  DH loves the grilled sandwiches it makes. 

I use a hearty italian bread, spread both sides (of the inside) with prepared pesto, layer on fontina cheese and either ham, salami or turkey pepperoni.  It's wonderful!  There's no need to butter or olive oil the outside, the bread browns nicely. 

Also try bacon, cheddar, sliced apple with apple butter spread on the inside of the bread. 

Respected Contributor

You can search for pannini recipes on Pinterest - all sorts of good ideas!

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Hi - I learned about this sandwich when I studied in France years ago. When I got a panini, it was the first thing I made. Everyone loves it, and my DS who's in college has already asked if I will make it in the next couple of days after he's home!

Croque Monsieur (makes 4)

Bechamel sauce

1 Tbsp. unsalted butter

1 Tbsp. flour

3/4 c. milk

pinch of cayenne pepper

salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until the mixture is golden brown. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Simmer and keep stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth, about 6-8 minutes. Turn off heat and add cayenne, and if needed, salt and pepper. Set aside. 

8 slices French or sourdough bread, sliced thickly

1/4 c. oil

3 tsp. Dijon mustard

1/4 lb. Gruyere cheese, sliced thinly

8 slices deli ham

Preheat panini grill. Spread Dijon on 4 of the bread slices and top with 2 slices of ham. Spread the sauce evenly on top of the ham. Layer cheese on top and top with another slice of bread. Oil both outer sides of sandwich and cook on panini press about 5 minutes until sandwich is golden and crispy.

For a Croque Madame, add a fried egg to top of sandwich! (DD likes it this way - I do too!)

(I always double the recipe for the sauce, as we all like extra to dip our sandwiches in!) 

@beach-mom

sounds really yummyWoman Very Happy