Trusted Contributor

This stupid stainless steel French door Kitchen Aid  refrigerator that cost me $1500 now has a broken wire that makes the ice come out or not. It won't stop making ice. Every time I open the bottom freezer, the ice cubes fall out into the back of it and I have to get something long to pull them out or I won;t be able to close the freezer. This wire probably cost them .05 cents to make, but it is $95 for a service man to just come out. Tried taping it up, but that didn't work. I am mad. ..such a flimsy excuse for an ice maker. Has anyone had this happen besides me? What did you do?

Honored Contributor

Did you try googling it?  If not try googling the phrase something like what your first sentence was.

Say the name of the frig and the problem in the google.

I do that all of the time.

You'll be surprised what will come up.  There are probably a lot of people who've had the same problem.

Some of them will tell you how they did or didn't fix the problem.

@geegerbee  Click onto this:https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrEzeoILtNdlFsAEARXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEycHBtMWNzBGNvb...

This is youtube videos with people that have similar problems.  See if some of this will help you.

Just put the cursor on it and click.  There are several videos.  They specifically (like you) mention problems with their expensive frig with the french doors, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

If I was you I would shut the ice maker off.... this should  stop the problem on a temporary basis but, if you want ice, you still will have to call a repair man & pay the $95.00 ..... nothing is made the way it used to be!!! 🤨

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee  I just clicked on what I posted and a lot of youtube videos came up.

See if any of those might help you.  Please come back and let us know....I'm curious.

Respected Contributor

I cannot believe the constant chronic issues with the frig ice makers.  I have never nor my friends met a frig ice maker that functioned properly without one issue or another.  I finally purchased a portable ice maker that has become my bff forever!  I have remained ice maker stress free for over 2 years now!

0820CF27-5907-42B7-BBA7-F584E066C2F3.jpeg

Valued Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I cannot believe the constant chronic issues with the frig ice makers.  I have never nor my friends met a frig ice maker that functioned properly without one issue or another.  I finally purchased a portable ice maker that has become my bff forever!  I have remained ice maker stress free for over 2 years now!

0820CF27-5907-42B7-BBA7-F584E066C2F3.jpeg

I work in an appliance store and my DH sells appliances.  We will NEVER buy another fridge with a ice maker, EVER.  Our ice maker is similar to yours.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop  That is the exact thing I bought for my oldest daughter the summer of 2018.

She recently gave it to me because it was broken (she brakes everything...drive me crazy).

I bought the warranty but my friend thinks he can fix it.

Daughter number one (I call her) is an ice chewer.  She's been that way since she got her first few teeth.

I know all about how terrible it is for the enamel.  That girl has the most beautiful set of chompers you've ever seen.

Thank goodness for braces though!  They are huge and just as white and straight.  I've stopped yelling about the enamel.  I figure she's 44 I've given up!  Ha!  

That's her only vice...I think I'm OK with that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ice maker problem

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee 

First, I suggest you turn off the ice maker & water line.  I know this problem and frustration well at 16 months my Samsung $2300 french door fridge bought in 2017 the ice maker froze up flooded both my fridge inside and kitchen floor.

Over 59 calls to Samsung to fix or replace, consumer complaint with FTC still no resolve!  Extended warranty does not cover ice maker and only 1 year warranty from mfg😡😡😡😡😡

A poster here suggested good ole ice cube trays.  It's a hassle and yes, hard to get them "level" in freezer but I'm stuck with this piece of junk😡!

It's true they just don't manufacture  good products anymore plus Samsung supposedly now owns GE so I'd never buy a GE either!

I'd gladly pay for the repair in my case no one in my area will work on Samsung's anymore.  

Valued Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

This stupid stainless steel French door Kitchen Aid  refrigerator that cost me $1500 now has a broken wire that makes the ice come out or not. It won't stop making ice. Every time I open the bottom freezer, the ice cubes fall out into the back of it and I have to get something long to pull them out or I won;t be able to close the freezer. This wire probably cost them .05 cents to make, but it is $95 for a service man to just come out. Tried taping it up, but that didn't work. I am mad. ..such a flimsy excuse for an ice maker. Has anyone had this happen besides me? What did you do?

How old is it?  Also, the 95 dollar fee should go towards the repair should you decide to do that.

Honored Contributor

I'm whispering...(bad luck) but I finally thawed all of the ice stuck in my ice maker and the thing has been working good now for more than a year.

Periodically, I go in the bin and throw out the ice so it doesn't freeze there.

I remember I used to have trouble with it coming down the chute.  The ice would get stuck.

They are a pain in the neck.  My daughter did it on her own...she put a new motor in her ice maker thingy.   

She'd see her Dad and me fix our own stuff so now she started doing things herself.  Her husband procrastinates everything so she just does it herself.

My husband could fix anything.  I put (with my guy friend) new everything into our toilet.  I've done that now with 2 toilets.

That's a real pain in the neck.  Anything involving water is a pain.  But we did it.

We also put a new faucet in the kitchen sink, new locks on the doors and on and on.

There's a real satisfaction when you fix something yourself.

My late husband put new heating elements in our dryer.  You wouldn't believe the things that man would fix!

He'd say, "More people could fix things themselves but they're afraid to try".  He was right!  If it's broken you have nothing to loose.