Respected Contributor

Re: ITKWD is there a time limit for a caller to give their testimonial?

@pupwhipped  

For sure.  I think Rick despises testimonial calls.  He was hosting an electronic product the other night and a great testimonial call came thru.  The guy kept on point and really gave out useful information about the product, didn't ramble.   However, he did have a question for the "QVC Electronic Expert" and Rick was acting like he had "ants in his pants" trying to dismiss the call.

Contributor

Yes, they did those when they first became QVC. We were selected twice and won a fifty dollar credit each time. At the time they didn't ask for testimonials, when you called in to place an order, the operator would ask if you would like to speak to the host and play the word game. 

QVC history 

QVC was founded on June 13, 1986, by Joseph Segel. One of the first brands to sign a two-year deal with QVC for its products was Sears.[3] The channel's first live broadcast took place at 7:30 p.m. ET on November 24, of that year, reaching 7.6 million cable television homes; the first item sold was a "Windsor Shower Companion" shower radio, presented by host John Eastman (Bob Bowersox was the first host seen on-screen).[4] The corporation later set a new record for first full-year fiscal sales for a new public company of $112 million.[5]

Initially broadcast live from 7:30 p.m. until midnight ET each weekday and all day on Saturdays and Sundays, the channel extended its live programming to 24 hours in January 1987. In 1989, QVC acquired its top competitor, the Cable Value Network (CVN), founded by Irwin L. Jacobs. The $380 million deal contributed to a loss of $17 million during the next fiscal quarter, and then led to difficulties in the couple of years that followed.[6]

On February 2, 1995, Comcast purchased a majority shareholder stake in QVC, Inc., taking control of the corporation. That year, QVC kicked off the "Quest for America's Best: 50 in 50 Tour," a 50-week nationwide product search. Q2, a separate channel for more upscale shoppers, was founded in 1994 but abandoned in 1996.[7] QVC.com was started in 1996 as iQVC.[8]

In 1998, two former hosts filed a class-action lawsuit against QVC, claiming that they were discriminated against by the shopping channel based on their race. The lawsuit went on to state that QVC refused to allow non-white hosts any permanent daytime/primetime spots, which relegated them to the overnight hours, otherwise known as the "graveyard shift." Because of this, the non-white hosts were paid considerably less than the white hosts.[9][10]

In July 2003, Comcast sold its majority share to Liberty Media. On September 23, 2007, QVC U.S. rebranded itself, changing its logo on-air and online. The rebranding was accompanied by an advertising campaign with the tagline "iQdoU?" ("I shop QVC, do you?") that had preceded the rebrand with billboards in major U.S. cities. The iQdoU? campaign also included a "teaser" website.[11][12]

QVC was the first shopping network to offer a native high-definition simulcast channel in May 2009. The 4:3 cut for its standard definition feed in this 16:9 presentation is made to the right of the screen rather than on both sides of the 4:3 frame, allowing the network to place its graphics fully to the left and lower portions of the screen to maximize camera presentation space.

On September 30, 2010, at 11 p.m., QVC began broadcasting in Italy, both on satellite and through digital terrestrial television. In 2012, QVC partnered with China National Radio to take over operations of its home shopping network and associated internet e-commerce site. Its initial reach was reported to be 35 million households.

In 2013, QVC partnered with Ion Media Networks to bring its programming to broadcast television, through Ion Television. QVC began to be carried as the fifth digital subchannel on most Ion Television owned-and-operated stations beginning on August 5, 2013; due to technical limitations caused by the number of subchannels Ion requires its stations to carry, QVC is carried in a squeezed full-screen 4:3 format and is transmitted in standard definition. The channel is also broadcast on digital subchannels of low-powered television stations in selected areas. The broadcast service is branded as "QVC Over the Air", with an accompanying on-screen bug appearing on the lower right corner of the screen during the network's programming.

The owner of television shopping network QVC announced it is paying $2.4 billion to buy Internet retailer Zulily,[13] a flash-sales pioneer that has struggled recently with slowing sales gains.[14]

On July 6, 2017, QVC's parent company, Liberty Interactive, announced its intention to purchase the remaining 62% of stock it didn't already own of HSN, the rival home shopping channel. The all-stock deal is valued at $2.1 billion ($40.36 a share).[15][16][17]

Honored Contributor

The most painful calls always seem to go on the longest.

Super Contributor

I will never forget one time when David and Chris were presenting lock and lock and someone called in and said the containers were perfect for keeping her pets ashes in....!!!?? I thought David was going to swallow his teeth..ha He made a great recovery and thanked the caller and moved on 

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

The most painful calls always seem to go on the longest.

I think that's because home shopping networks know what they are and know their audience. There's a large number of people in the US who live alone, many who are elderly or house-bound. They turn on QVC, HSN, or Evine and feel like they're not alone. When they call a QVC operator or talk to a host, that may be the only person they've talked to all day - or all week. They view the hosts as friends. QVC knows this and knows that if the hosts are too abrubt with someone or do not show empathy, that person may feel hurt - and decided to turn to one of the other channels and spend their money there.

There are all kinds of articles written about this as well as articles written about many people whose family members find their homes filled with unopened boxes from home shopping channels. Part of it is shopping addiction, but a part of it is lonliness and people reaching out to make a connection - maybe the only one they'll make all day.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I mute the calls and have always done this......just not interested in them. I like to stay on point and not be distracted. 

Respected Contributor

I would think that hosts do get signals about what to do on air through thier earpieces. Balance is important I would think.

I have noticed a variety of callers that everyone has mentioned here . I expect it when I watch shopping networks. I find the calls helpful at times , sometimes not! It is pretty much what makes shopping channels what they are &  they seem to do alright money wise with that formula. If it annoys me I do something else and look at the website for info.

I appreciate patience in the hosts and feel the world is lacking in that and decorum lately. I find one host that lacks this in a large way contrasting sharply with DV who is rich in those qualities.

Valued Contributor

HSN cuts them off and the host says, oh, I think we lost the caller. They rarely let anyone talk long. Sometimes, the host seems rude.