Trusted Contributor

ITKWD is there a time limit for a caller to give their testimonial?

[ Edited ]

Is there a time limit for a caller to give their testimonial?  

How long is the caller allowed to talk?

I noticed sometimes callers begin to ramble,  talking about their spouse passing away, or past/present medical issues, or is just too chatty.  Nothing to do with the product being presented.

So, if the caller is talking too much, does David V. get some kind of signal to or from the producer to cut the caller off?

Respected Contributor

Re: ITKWD is there a time limit for a caller to give their testimonial?

I know what you are talking about.  Sometimes a lonely soul calls in about a product and then continues to elaborate about everything/everyone under the sun!  I feel so sorry for the show host. Even though the callers are screened beforehand, they can't rule out the "ramblers." The hosts are great at listening to them and try their best to get a word in edgewise.  They are also great at not being rude to the caller by cutting them off, and sometimes they say something like "We are running out of time for the presentation, but thank you for your call." Not sure if the producer's prompt is too helpful at helping them at this point!

Honored Contributor

I always wonder how the host remembers the caller's name, long into a phone call.  Maybe it appears on the monitor for them?  If not, they have remarkable memories.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

YES!!!  Isn't that annoying when someone calls into a 'kitchen' show, and blathers about all sorts of non-kitchen stuff.

They seem to be unable to grasp that the testimonial calls, just like the forums, are structured conversations, even when someone tries to gently steer them to staying on topic or finishing up the call.

Honored Contributor

I don't know but years ago I recall if a "caller rambled" the host would tell them they needed to move on.

In David's case when he gets a call like that (and even the vendor is starting to 🙄) he graciously & gently lets them know something "kind" -- especially with the "older" callers he's compassionate but gently tells them he needs to go!

I have rarely heard (imo) a young caller mostly seem middle age or seniors so thrilled to talk on air ....they do "ramble"!  Heck that would be me...once I got my composure because David is the only host I'd be thrilled to talk to & I'd be doing the 💃💃💃💃!

Honored Contributor

I have read on these forums where posters said they have been on air but we're not screened. I'm sure the posters name and location appear on the monitor.

Trusted Contributor

Really late one night (I couldn't sleep), I was watching Collene Lopez on HSN.  She had 2 callers in a row that talked about their pets!  They rambled on for a long time until Collene got a laughing fit and it was a big mess!  I think Collene (not sure how to spell her name) thought it was some kind of joke against her that she had to listen to all that for 2 straight calls!  I ended up getting a laughing fit, too. 

I was asked to talk on air one time and I immediately said NO!  Not making a fool of myself on live TV !    lol

Respected Contributor

If you enjoy hearing callers being shut down and cut off then you would probably be better off watching Evine or HSN. Or tune into the Q when Rick is on. LOL!

Honored Contributor

Those calls should be eliminated. They add nothing to the shows as far as I'm concerned.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Years ago when QVC had on-air contests, callers would stay on the line

hoping the host would ask them - if they wanted to play the game.