Honored Contributor

ISO - Food Saving Device

[ Edited ]

I bought the Power XL food saver that was a TVS in September.  It turned out to be a royal piece of junk.  Looking for something moderately priced, that uses universal bagging material, and has good suction and sealing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ISO - Food Saving Device

[ Edited ]

Foodsaver. They sell them and the bags at Costco, Amazon, Target etc.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Foodsaver. They sell them and the bags at Costco, Amazon, Target etc.

Yes, I know that brand name, I'm looking for a specific model that users have had a good experience with.   And even the ones to stay away from.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch @My DD uses a Foodsaver for all their game and fish. Any model will be good. Check them out at WM. The bags come in rolls.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We had our original FoodSaver brand for over 25 years.  We replaced it with another one, a smaller unit (VSO150).  Works just as well as the previous unit. We purchase our bags from Amazon. Less expensive and my husband likes to create his own sized bags for what he is vac sealing.  I would not purchase another brand. FoodSaver is the original and the best imo.

Honored Contributor

We have some errands to do today, and Costco is on the list.  I have a couple of grocery items to pick up and want to give a closer look at the Ninja Creami.  I'll see if they have a Foodsaver there.  

Thanks to those who responded.

Agreed 100% Didn't even use it a couple times and now it's junk ,can't find a help center or a return policy 

Honored Contributor

You might look at the Foodsaver site to look at the models and features although all the newer ones may have them.  I like one that has the accessory hose since I still have some of the canisters that came with one of the original machines.  The canisters can be hard to come by, so if you can get a "kit" that includes them, I think it's worth it.  I have one that is more box shaped that I can put meat with marinade in, and vacuum sealing it helps speed up the process. 

A tray to catch any liquid that gets sucked out is helpful too although I usually pre-freeze any meat or liquids in the bags before sealing them to keep that from happening.  And some have a setting for soft foods you don't want to crush.  Mine has a seal button that'll stop the process and immediately seal it which is basically the same thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

FYI, a new poster just bumped this thread from December 2022...