Honored Contributor

Re: IDEAS FOR EASTER DESERT NEEDED

My menu is simple too and I decided lemon meringue pie would be our dessert. Other good Easter choices would be carrot cake or coconut cream pie. For the chocolate lover, there are so many options! However since our centerpiece is an Easter basket, the chocoholics can get their fill there.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat    Your deserts sound absolutely delicious!  Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and cheesecake are 2 of my favorite deserts, along with cannolis.  What time is your dinner? I will be there!  LOL  Happy Easter  

Respected Contributor

yum.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have the baking skill, and dislike any kind of cooking as a rule, but my MIL used to make the cutest lamb cake for Easter dessert -- from a metal mold.  Covered in coconut and red cherries for eyes; jellybean nose.  I think I'll serve rainbow sherbet.

I only have a kitchen 'cause it came with the house.

Esteemed Contributor

Mandarin orange cake....easy to make and tastes great. Fancy? Not really, but both adults and kids like it.

Cake:

1 yellow cake mix

3 eggs

1 stick butter, softened

1 - 11 oz can Mandarin oranges with juice

Mix with electric mixer until blended, pour into 11x13 pan and bake per box instructions

Topping:

Regular size Cool Whip

1 small package Vanilla instant pudding

1 - 20 oz. can crushed pineapple with juice

Fold vanilla pudding granules, crushed pineapple with juice into Cool Whip, and spread on cooled cake. If making ahead of time, refrigerate.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1   Wow, this sounds so good and it is easy.  Very similar to a cake that the then "older generation" passed along to me in the mid-seventies when I was a bride and then a few years later a first-time mother.

Recipe was the same idea, but without the mandarin oranges.  It was all crushed canned pineapple instead and was called Egg Salad cake because of its appearance.  It was one of my Easter desserts for many years--both my daughter and son loved it.

I am going to make your recipe.  I'm sure I'll enjoy the flavor profile those little orange segments will add.

Thank you for sharing this.

Esteemed Contributor

Angel food cake stuffed with strawberries and whipped cream.

cut off the top of an angel food cake (save it) and hollow the cake out.

fresh strawberries cut up, mix with whipped cream (homemade or store bought)

put into cake shell replace the cut off top of cake.

frost with more whipped cream & add more sliced strawberries.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435, thank you! The first time I made this cake I beat the mandarin oranges into the batter....the next time, I added the juice first and then added the oranges at the end and just "hit" the power on my beater for a second or two so that I still had chunks of them. You're right - it's an old recipe. I've had it for years but people still comment on how good it is. I hope you like it too!

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Glorified Rice. It's white rice with cool whip, crushed pineapple drained , marisino cherries cut in half, and a couple of pinches of salt. Mix all together, taste, and chill for at least an hour or two.

Very good - my mother had this in her recipe box (newspaper clipping) and used to make this.  They called it Heavens Delight.  We still have it every once in awhile and that old piece of paper now almost crumbles in your hands (I got my mother's recipe box when she died in early 1970s).

Respected Contributor

well were italian so we usually have ricotta pie of rice pie and usually chocolate creme pie and sometimes some kind of cheese cake.