Respected Contributor

Re: I wish I had more of this in my life..

Gosh....I remember when I was a kid how Mom and the neighbor ladies would have coffee at each other's houses and dropping by was such a regular occurrence. They were really good friends, and would have dinner parties and holiday parties. I sometimes long for something like that even though I am a private person, but the older I get it seems I the more lonely I feel at times.
Super Contributor

I used to have friends like this in Chicago. If the afternoon, we drank sodas, if the evening, we drank booze. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I really miss the company. I watch Hoda and Kathie Lee each morning before work and it sometimes takes the place of my group of friends. Now no one stops by as I live out in the country...sigh.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Those days are gone. All Most people care about today is their next cell phone call, and cutting people off in traffic to save two seconds out of their so called life.
Regular Contributor

No, not anymore. All my friends have either died or moved out of state. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Super Contributor

Yes, life today is very sad, the economy is horrendous, everything is soooo expensive, everyone works themselves to death and has no time for anyone or anything.

Honored Contributor

On 4/23/2014 corita said:
On 4/23/2014 Scotnovel said:

I enjoy spending time with friends but I do not want anyone, friends or family, just dropping by without calling & making plans ahead of time.

Growing up, dropping in without notice was a huge "no-no". One just did not do that...always call ahead. It was considered rude and thoughtless! I still feel that way. Please just call me and give me some notice! The house might not be 'ready" for company or even worse, I might not be!

Same here.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish my best friends were still living close by but we have all moved to different places. My dearest friend and I used to have coffee together. I do have those dishes, however!!!

Trusted Contributor

house cat, you could have read my mind. I would love to do this with my best friend but unfortunately we do not live close enough for that.

Honored Contributor

Do you mean you want more friends or you want people to come by more often?

If you want the friends you have to come by more often, invite them more often. I don't go to anyone's house uninvited because there's no way I want people coming to my house uninvited. Invite your friends over - set up a weekly coffee, wine, brunch, game night, whatever. Let people know your door is open and see what happens.

If you don't know many people who can join you, you can try meetup.com. It's a site where you can enter your city or zip code and an interest - knitting, movies, books, politics, games, coffee, whatever. Depending on your area, you should find meetups that you can attend. They take place in public places and they're free or cheap to attend, depending on the group and how they've set it up. (Someone has to run the web page and pay for that service, so they usually set up dues of some kind.) I've joined game groups, knitting groups, political groups, and more for my area. I have on group who does all kinds of things - want to see a movie? Post it and people will join you. Want to go try a new restaurant? Post it and people will join you. Want to attend a beading class? Talk about politics? Be in a book club? I have one group that does it all.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like unplanned drop-ins. My home is kind of my hide-away haven.

I do love getting together with my sisters, SIL & mom! On my birthday (4/26) are going to Pinot Palette. Usually we do a spa day for birthday. One of my sisters suggested it so here we go....