Honored Contributor

Re: I've turned into the Thanksgiving Day Grinch...

@house_cat   I think what happens is that our families age and pick up new families as they go and managing all of the pieces of the various families does get unwieldy.

DH and I lived about 6 hours away from our parents who lived about 20 minutes from each other.  When we drove to spend a weekend, even a holiday weekend with the families there was always a tug we had to manage.  I sympathize with the cooks and with the younger visitors -  neither has easy choices unless the two families actually join together for major meals.  That did not happen for us!

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Since I don't enjoy cookin/cleaning, Thanksgiving has never been an enjoyable day for me once I was grown and had a family to prepare for.  I would be quite happy if my daughter and her family went elsewhere for Thanksgiving meals.  It might be nice to have them drop by for a visit.  They live in town, but rarely drop by.  I'd love a chance to do a Ruth Chris Thanksgiving.  

@Icegoddess 

I get it.  I am wiped out the next day!

Do you have a Fresh Market?  They were doing a Whole turkey with sides in an insulated fabric cooler at a good price.  Something to think of for next year.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Since I don't enjoy cookin/cleaning, Thanksgiving has never been an enjoyable day for me once I was grown and had a family to prepare for.  I would be quite happy if my daughter and her family went elsewhere for Thanksgiving meals.  It might be nice to have them drop by for a visit.  They live in town, but rarely drop by.  I'd love a chance to do a Ruth Chris Thanksgiving.  

@Icegoddess 

I get it.  I am wiped out the next day!

Do you have a Fresh Market?  They were doing a Whole turkey with sides in an insulated fabric cooler at a good price.  Something to think of for next year.

@ECBG We no longer have a Fresh Market, but I wouldn't be interested anyways, Only DH & I really eat the turkey.  My daughter wants ham, so she brings that.  I picked up a 2 lb Boar's Head fully cooked turkey breast roast and I have a couple of St. Clair sides to heat up.  I'll save the other 2 sides for Christmas or just a meal.  I'll also make Deviled eggs and a blackberry cobbler.  Not sure if my daugher will bring another side.  Sometimes she does.  I know she's bringing an apple pie for her husband.  

I have tried some full meals and really have been disappointed in the taste.  Even Cracker Barrel's.  St, Clair's dressing tastes as close to mine as any I've tried and that's my favorite Thankgsgiving side dish.  

Mostly, I just have to heat the food up.  But, I do have to prepare the dining room, get the good china/silver out etc.  And then afterwards I have to clean it all up.  It's not that nobody will help.  It's just easier for me to do it than to try and dance around the kitchen with someone else. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally see your points- I wouldn't bother either! 
Enjoy your peaceful day of Thanksgiving, and eat whatever you want!  I never get to do that... 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Did you ever find decent green beans?  (Assuming you serve them.)

They're a family favorite with everyone and my Ingles had a few little dried up beans with shriveled ends!

I'm doing sauteed mixed vegies.  I guess I missed the "wooden box in the aisle" of green beans. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Publix almost always has $2 bags of green beans. We eat them quite often and I've never been disappointed with the quality.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@ECBG 

Publix almost always has $2 bags of green beans. We eat them quite often and I've never been disappointed with the quality.

@house_cat I love green beans too, but other than an occasional batch of fresh in bean season, my go-to is canned Le Seuer whole green beans.  

They fit in with my everyday eating vegetables when needed, and I don't have to tip and tail 'em!  They even go well in grain salads.  

Honored Contributor

Wow. How sad. I'm so glad I haven't turned into a grinch. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

That's ok...I am turning into the Christmas Grinch!   So tired of the hype and the pressure to BUY BUY BUY GIFTS FOR EVERYONE!!!   Ruins the whole holiday.  We stopped buying gifts (excepxt for the little grandkids) a few years ago. Instead, we (and my 3 adult kids)  buy gift for families in need through our local food cupboard.  We pick 2 families and buy what they put on their wish list.  So much more fulfilling and takes the stress of looking for presents no one really needs.  We have enough!  We are in our 70's and have cut back on decorating as well.  It gets tiring after doing it for so many years.