Honored Contributor

Re: I've turned into the Thanksgiving Day Grinch...

You raised them. Don't owe them nothing .

I had to go to my in-laws yrs ago and I hated that like

going to the hanging tree.

Half the clan couldn't stand the other half. Nobody thought I was good enough to pay attention to. Now,

I"m a widow in another state and I do the holidays with my church, make an appearance and go home.

sleepy-smiley-face.gif

Honored Contributor

I hear you,  

am I deleting some of the side dishes that were part of the meal for many years

CV break made it possible 

my husband always says "if they don't like it they wont come back" so far they are still coming back

Honored Contributor

You are not a grinch.....I would not want my kids to fit me in...we all know when they marry or have a significant other there will be demands on their time.

I am with @house_cat ...I would not want people coming and going during the day to see others and not eating because they are full are going somewhere else...it's just to much work.

Holidays have taken on a new meaning as I have gotten older, and both parents are gone - we are usualy invited to a friends house but it is total chaos and we always decline, but appreciate their offer.

We will either go away overnight or stay home and I will make a small meal or order a thanksgiving meal as a take out.

Valued Contributor

You write, "nobody comes over to help me clean or get the house ready." If not, they can cook at their homes. If you want/need the help, tell these folks. "I'll host dinner but only if some of you come over to help me clean and cook. If no one volunteers, go out for dinner. Another option is hiring someone to come and clean and get the house ready and let everyone know who's coming that their share of the clean-up cost is - a portion of whatever you have to pay. I'd sure rather help pay for someone else to get their home ready than have to do all the cleaning by myself at my home.

Respected Contributor

I am with you sister. As my sweet mother used to say "it's only a meal". It's not worth stressing over!  Makes perfect sense to me. 

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay ... I just wanted to tell you l enjoyed your family story! What a nice daughter and Mom you are! ❤️

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE ... Spending the holidays at your church sounds nice! No more stress!

l love your little guy... or girl going to bed. You always post the cutest/funniest things that make me laugh!

Thank you for that !! 😊 ...and l bet you'd be fun to hang out with! Not everyone can make me smile... but you do !! 😊

Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal,

Aw thank you so much!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@SharkE ... Spending the holidays at your church sounds nice! No more stress!

l love your little guy... or girl going to bed. You always post the cutest/funniest things that make me laugh!

Thank you for that !! 😊 ...and l bet you'd be fun to hang out with! Not everyone can make me smile... but you do !! 😊

2234717QRQxM4dg.gif

@EastCoastGal 

Honored Contributor

Ironic update.... DH's aunt decided to visit us for the weekend coming up.  My kids are all very fond of her, so the whole gang will be here to eat on Saturday.  I'm going to make an Italian dinner, homemade lasagna, eggplant parmesan (reg and GF), sausage and peppers and a Caesar salad.  It's not exactly Thanksgiving dinner, but it's still a feast and it covers all the different food preferences.  If anyone decides to come here for Thanksgiving they'd better bring their own food!

~ house cat ~