Trusted Contributor

I need a new kitchen timer - old fashioned kind!

My old Lux/RobertShaw wind-up manual kitchen timer gave it up a few weeks ago, and I've been searching for something to replace it - but I can't find anything under $30 that seems to be worth buying. And even most of them have not gotten good reviews.

Lux still sells the same style, but they are now made in China and have gotten mixed very reviews. Most of the other times are digital, which I don't want.

I have a digital on my microwave, and also a digital on my combo meat thermometer. But I want an old fashioned wind-up style that ticks down the minutes and dings one time when the time is up.

I searched eBay for possible vintage ones (used), but either they are in rough shape, or they want a small fortune for them.

Has anyone found a good quality manual, wind-up kitchen timer? Mine looked like this:

/></p> <p> </p>

Trusted Contributor

Re: I need a new kitchen timer - old fashioned kind!

I think that you will find what you're looking for at bed,bath & beyond.
~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

That's the style I prefer also. Had to replace mine a couple of years ago. Got it on Amazon, I believe. Certainly isn't the same quality as the one it replaced, though it works OK.

Honored Contributor

I have one of those (in black of course) that I got on Amazon a few years ago. It doesn't have that name on the left side, but does say 'Lux' on the right.

I've used it lots of times. Works great. One complaint I saw a lot, at the time I was looking, seemed to be from people who didn't understand that you need to crank it around past at least 30 minutes and, if you are going to need less time, then back to the time you want.

I've never had mine fail. ETA - oh and, yeah, it's made in China. But it seems to be well made.

Frequent Contributor

Madzonie, I agree with cancun08. If not there, you could try TJ Maxx, in the kitchen gadget section, or, if you have a family run hardware store in your area. Also Walmart might have them. Or Lowes or Home Depot, if you have one near you.

I hope you are able to find what you are looking for.

Honored Contributor

try a beauty supply place

http://www.marlobeauty.com/colortrak-60-minute-wind-up-timer/p325/

this vendor sells to the trade only but you could try somewhere near you, they use them to time the hair color,

Respected Contributor

Amazon:

Lux Mechanical Classic Timer - $9.71

Honored Contributor

This Taylor one is under $4 (IDK about the shipping rates).

It gets good reviews- webstaurantstore.com

Trusted Contributor

They sell them at Bed Bath & Beyond for $7.99. Use a coupon and you could knock another 20% off that price if you want.

Esteemed Contributor

Try a thrift store! You will need to calibrate it.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.