Valued Contributor

Re: I love Temptations Cookware

I love my Temptations too! I have not had any break on me while in the oven, I have had the crazing stuff appear but that doesn't bother me just by looking at it. So wha...... I think it's pretty.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 gulf coast girl said:

I love my Temptations too! I have not had any break on me while in the oven, I have had the crazing stuff appear but that doesn't bother me just by looking at it. So wha...... I think it's pretty.

Gulf coast girl, you can do your own research and make up your mind about it, but many people believe that when a piece of stoneware crazes, it is no longer safe to use for food. Some report that bacteria gets down in those tiny cracks and can contaminate the food. Others believe that substances in the paint including lead, can be leached into the food through the cracks as well. Most ceramic isn't 'lead free' but contains legally allowed levels of lead. At any rate, just thought I'd share, in case you hadn't heard of these two possibilities.

Respected Contributor

On 11/30/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 11/29/2014 happy housewife said: It seems that some people have multiple problems with their TT crazing or breaking and others never have an issue. This leads me to feel strongly it has to be something they are doing that is causing it to craze or break.That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Yes, you do stick to your opinions very well. You've posted this one on a regular basis in the TT forum and have been told repeatedly by many users that they treated their TT no differently than they would treat any other stoneware and still experienced breakage and crazing.

I think it's somewhat arrogant to dismiss ALL complaints as being just a matter of user error or incompetence.

I thought the same thing, until it happened to me. That's the key.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

"I was in the ceramic business 25 years. Temptation is not ceramic, it is stoneware."

If you were in the ceramic business 25 years, OP,then you should know that stoneware is a type of ceramic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 12/2/2014 suzyQ3 said:

"I was in the ceramic business 25 years. Temptation is not ceramic, it is stoneware."

If you were in the ceramic business 25 years, OP,then you should know that stoneware is a type of ceramic.

Just what I was going to state here, too.

Not a fan of consuming food prepared in lead-based paint items, so I got rid of all of mine that I'd gotten as gifts.

Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 JamicaJammer said:
On 12/2/2014 suzyQ3 said:

<em>"I was in the ceramic business 25 years. Temptation is not ceramic, it is stoneware."</em>

If you were in the ceramic business 25 years, OP,then you should know that stoneware is a type of ceramic. <em><br /></em>

Just what I was going to state here, too.

Not a fan of consuming food prepared in lead-based paint items, so I got rid of all of mine that I'd gotten as gifts.

You have no proof that this stoneware poses more of a health danger than any other stoneware product, and regardless of any other problems associated with this product and regardless of my opinion of this product, I really think it's unconscionable to suggest otherwise.

If it did pose such a danger, it would generate a Prop 65 warning before being shipped to California. I have not heard that that happens.

From the TT website:

<h2>Are temp-tations® lead-safe?</h2>

Temp-tations® porcelain, stoneware, china and earthenware products meet all Federal and state government standards for lead safety. All temp-tations® products are tested for lead safety by accredited independent laboratories before they are shipped to the U.S.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

You know people on here sent theirs in to be tested and everything. No it doesn't have lead, but people persist in fueling rumors that they have no clue about because it's made in china

Do I believe it cracks and crazes, yes there are regulars that have had it happen. Much more believable than the one post wonders. I have no clue why, but so long as I haven't I'm happy with mine. I use it a lot and with heat up to 400. I have old and new.

People who complain about the looks don't watch the presentation close enough. It's imperfect they say it enough, I'm not sure how anyone can expect anything else.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

They do say it's 'lead-safe' but they have never said it is 'lead-free'.