Super Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

My only real concern is the cakes doming, but I can use the pans as a guide for a serrated knife to remove any dome, so it should work out pretty well. There's something you do in the mixing process that's supposed to limit doming, but I don't remember what it is. I'll have to research that before I make the cake.

@gardenmanI read an article online about kitchen "hacks" and it said to use dental floss to get a clean cut across your cake. I haven't tried it since I'm not much of a baker.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

It's good to buy at a discount but why do you need Wilton pans?

Can't you just use regular cake pans and divide the batter 4 ways?

I buy Wilton products at Michael's with a coupon.

@gardenman wrote:

I just got the Wilton Easy Layers cake pan set. It's four shallow rectangular cake pans that let you bake a multi-layer cake using a cake mix. I'll be giving it a try on the 16th or so when I bake a chocolate cake. It looks like a neat way to sneak in extra frosting which is always a good thing. Amazon had it marked down recently so I picked it up and it came today.

@softwaregood grief.  Really???

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

My only real concern is the cakes doming, but I can use the pans as a guide for a serrated knife to remove any dome, so it should work out pretty well. There's something you do in the mixing process that's supposed to limit doming, but I don't remember what it is. I'll have to research that before I make the cake.

@gardenman 

A friend told me you can cut an old clean towel in strips that will fit around the outside of your cake pans. I have never tried it. Just wet the strips & pin tightly around the pans. Smack on counter to remove air bubbles. If you try it let me know if it works. 

It must be true. I just Googled it. They already sell strips you can wet to put around your cake pans on Amazon. Who knew?

They are called Bake Even Strips for $12.98.

@Nightowlz  I'm not a baker, I'm a cook.  My sister loves to bake.  Would these strips be something she might like?  She'd only use them when she was baking a layered cake or would she use them for any cake?  Thanks for any insight.  I love buying her things like this because she bakes me wonderful treats (like my beloved maman did) which is no easy feat given my food allergies.

@Misplaced Parisian 

If she makes a lot of cakes & does not like them doming these are suppose to work for that. She might like them for that reason. I don't know what else you would use them for.

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman 

A friend told me you can cut an old clean towel in strips that will fit around the outside of your cake pans. I have never tried it. Just wet the strips & pin tightly around the pans. Smack on counter to remove air bubbles. If you try it let me know if it works. 

It must be true. I just Googled it. They already sell strips you can wet to put around your cake pans on Amazon. Who knew?

They are called Bake Even Strips for $12.98.

@Nightowlz  I'm not a baker, I'm a cook.  My sister loves to bake.  Would these strips be something she might like?  She'd only use them when she was baking a layered cake or would she use them for any cake?  Thanks for any insight.  I love buying her things like this because she bakes me wonderful treats (like my beloved maman did) which is no easy feat given my food allergies.

@Misplaced Parisian 

If she makes a lot of cakes & does not like them doming these are suppose to work for that. She might like them for that reason. I don't know what else you would use them for.

@Nightowlz Thank you!  I greatly appreciate your response.

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@gardenmansounds delish, I like a little cake with my frosting !!!

I almost fell out when I saw your post!😂😂😂😂. Whew...

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Made the cake yesterday and everything went great up to adding the top layer and frosting it. I'd debated skewering the cake to hold the layers together, but as I added each layer I tested them and they seemed nice and solid, so I didn't. Big mistake!

When I started to frost the top-most layer, the second layer slid to the right, the third layer slid to the left and the top layer stayed in the middle. There was frosting and cake everywhere. Attempts to salvage the mess largely failed and I ended up with just a two-layer cake by the time all was said and done. Not the outcome I was looking for. The pans worked great though. Next time, I'll use skewers to lock the layers together. Doming was fairly minimal, so that wasn't a concern after all.

I might try initially making two two-layer cakes and then refrigerate them until the frosting sets up, then combine the two two-layer cakes into a four-layer cake and frost around the outside to minimize shifting. Everything seemed very, very stable, until it wasn't. Then it was a mess. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman I give you cheers for trying.  Glad you at least got two layers out of it.  As long as the cake tasted good what I have done is "crumb" the rest of the cake and use it topped with real whipped cream

Your outline of your next try sounds good to me.  And now you know that your instinct to skewer was correct.  Best of luck on your next attempt.  Practice makes perfect.