Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

It's good to buy at a discount but why do you need Wilton pans?

Can't you just use regular cake pans and divide the batter 4 ways?

I buy Wilton products at Michael's with a coupon.

@gardenman wrote:

I just got the Wilton Easy Layers cake pan set. It's four shallow rectangular cake pans that let you bake a multi-layer cake using a cake mix. I'll be giving it a try on the 16th or so when I bake a chocolate cake. It looks like a neat way to sneak in extra frosting which is always a good thing. Amazon had it marked down recently so I picked it up and it came today.

You can just use regular cake pans and then slice the layers in half, but then you have raw crumbly surfaces that can be harder to frost. In theory this set of pans (that were on sale for less than $9 for all four pans) should give me four baked cake layers ready to stack and frost with oven fresh surfaces all the way around. Assuming they don't dome, which may be assuming a lot. My oven won't hold four nine inch round cake pans on the same rack, but the four rectangular ones will slide in easily on the same rack. It gives you a torte style cake without having to slice each layer. If these layers rise up enough in the oven you could even slice each layer in half to get eight layers, but that could be more challenging. I may slice the long rectangular cake into four or five sections after the layers are frosted and then frost all the way around the four or five multilayer cakelets (for lack of a better word) to make small, individual cakes. That would prevent the cut edge from going stale and seal all of the little cakes. I'll see what I come up with on the 16th.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@hayseed00 wrote:

@gardenmansounds delish, I like a little cake with my frosting !!!

@hayseed00 LOL!!!  I'm just the opposite!  I don't like much frosting and usually rake part of it off if I'm not in "company."

Also, from the title of this thread, I assumed @SharkE was the one who started it!  Wonder why????  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

no, not my thread.

Honored Contributor

my latest toy is the 2 qt red pressure cooker from HSN. LOL

gonna do sweet potatoes in it soon as I can go buy some already did

potatoes in it for mashed potatoes.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

my latest toy is the 2 qt red pressure cooker from HSN. LOL

gonna do sweet potatoes in it soon as I can go buy some already did

potatoes in it for mashed potatoes.

@SharkE  Good for you!  Both sweet potatoes and a new RED pressure cooker!  LOL!!!!  Now I'm not disappointed!

Have fun with YOUR new toy!  

Respected Contributor

Re: I got a new toy.

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz wrote:

YUM Chocolate Cake. I always bake a cake in a 13 x 9 sheet pan since it's so much easier. LOL!!!

If you have not tried Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake you should try it. It's so good. Would make a yummy layered cake.

Come back to post pictures of your cake & let us know how it turns out.

That is a great recipe, that I've used for many years. It can be made in 8 or 9 inch round pans, 13 X 9, cupcakes, even a bundt pan.

There's also a Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting recipe that's very good. 

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

YUM Chocolate Cake. I always bake a cake in a 13 x 9 sheet pan since it's so much easier. LOL!!!

If you have not tried Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake you should try it. It's so good. Would make a yummy layered cake.

Come back to post pictures of your cake & let us know how it turns out.

That is a great recipe, that I've used for many years. It can be made in 8 or 9 inch round pans, 13 X 9, cupcakes, even a bundt pan.

There's also a Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting recipe that's very good. 

If that's the frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can, then that's the frosting recipe I already use. It's very good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

My only real concern is the cakes doming, but I can use the pans as a guide for a serrated knife to remove any dome, so it should work out pretty well. There's something you do in the mixing process that's supposed to limit doming, but I don't remember what it is. I'll have to research that before I make the cake.

@gardenman 

A friend told me you can cut an old clean towel in strips that will fit around the outside of your cake pans. I have never tried it. Just wet the strips & pin tightly around the pans. Smack on counter to remove air bubbles. If you try it let me know if it works. 

It must be true. I just Googled it. They already sell strips you can wet to put around your cake pans on Amazon. Who knew?

They are called Bake Even Strips for $12.98.

@gardenman @Nightowlz 

it works!  I used to bake and decorate cakes in the 80s.  I used strips like those. They were padded & silver (foil like) from Wilton

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

My only real concern is the cakes doming, but I can use the pans as a guide for a serrated knife to remove any dome, so it should work out pretty well. There's something you do in the mixing process that's supposed to limit doming, but I don't remember what it is. I'll have to research that before I make the cake.

@gardenman 

A friend told me you can cut an old clean towel in strips that will fit around the outside of your cake pans. I have never tried it. Just wet the strips & pin tightly around the pans. Smack on counter to remove air bubbles. If you try it let me know if it works. 

It must be true. I just Googled it. They already sell strips you can wet to put around your cake pans on Amazon. Who knew?

They are called Bake Even Strips for $12.98.

@Nightowlz  I'm not a baker, I'm a cook.  My sister loves to bake.  Would these strips be something she might like?  She'd only use them when she was baking a layered cake or would she use them for any cake?  Thanks for any insight.  I love buying her things like this because she bakes me wonderful treats (like my beloved maman did) which is no easy feat given my food allergies.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I got a new toy.

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz 

@Nightowlz  I'm not a baker, I'm a cook.  My sister loves to bake.  Would these strips be something she might like?  She'd only use them when she was baking a layered cake or would she use them for any cake?  Thanks for any insight.  I love buying her things like this because she bakes me wonderful treats (like my beloved maman did) which is no easy feat given my food allergies.

I had sheet cake pans that took 2 or 3 cake mixes.  I just used Tpins to attach together to wrap the entire pan.

(used milk instead of water & an extra egg per box mix)