Respected Contributor

I tried to make my old processor work too hard, so now I am looking for a replacement.   I am presently interested in and specifically asking about the Ninja Mega Food System BL770.  

Do you have one?  If so, would you please share your opinions -- good and bad?   Also, I am trying to find out if the lid to the food processor bowl has a feed / drizzle chute.  That would be one of the determining factors for me as I frequently make emulsions.  

Thank you for any information you can share.   --Mrs. G.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: I broke my food processor

I've never owned a food processor and get along quite well without one. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I cook a lot; I also can/preserve from my home garden.  I would not be without my Cuisinart Custom 11 food processor.  I have replaced the bowl, base, and food feed tube several times. Recently I found a "barely used" one on our local buy/sell/trade for $30 and made it mine!  This model is rather compact and only has 2 "buttons", but I see it on all of the Food Network's assorted shows.  It does everything I need,  and while I know it will not last a lifetime (I use it/never put it out of sight) I will replace it when needed and it is what I've recommended to friends!

Respected Contributor

Hello Mrs.G! When we bought our weekend place, I bought that Ninja system, and while there are aspects I like about it-and I use it on occasion, with the way you cook, I think a real processor would be a better option. I do see many chefs using the Breville because you don't need the top on. 

....or get a standard Kitchen Aid, and for emulsions, and dressings, honestly, the little bullet blenders work well-even for small amounts of bread crumbs, grated cheese etc.

The Ninja is nice...but when you are used to power, it just didn't deliver the way I wanted it to.

I like the ability to mix doughs and batters, and t h e Ninja is ok with batters, but not so good with bread doughs (small capacity and lower power).

It might suit your needs....but then, it might not. 

I love the adjustable slicing features on processors these days, and Breville has that and that wonderful huge feed tube...and then the shredding features....

It's funny because DD had some formal training in Culinary skills....she ended not continuing, but she still loves to cook...and for all the appliances I have, she still uses a box grater, and a knife for slicing.

Alas, with nerve damage and weakness in my hands, I need my appliances!

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

About a year ago when I was in the market for a new food processor, I did a TON of research and chose the Breville. Haven't been sorry. Would not choose the Ninja because I just don't think it has the quality.

Respected Contributor

Re: I broke my food processor.

we have an older ninja, works well for somethings but not others. we allso have a kitchen aid fp with dicing kit. good luck on whatever you go with. making doght in the ninja. no way. i do pie crust in ka and pizza dought in ka mixer.

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2  Thank you for your opinion and solid reasoning.  You gave me something to consider as I am like your daughter.

To slice, dice or shred, I will reach for my chef knife, box grater and, if the job is large, the mandoline.  I make bread doughs in a bread machine and pie doughs by hand.  Cake / cookie batters are done with a stand mixer, other types generally with a whisk.

Now that I think about it, I use the food processor for blending dressings or grinding nuts for Christmas cookies. The blending that killed my processor today was something from a frozen state; should've known better, but I was impatient.  

Your mention that the Ninja didn't have the power you wanted surprised me as they claim it has 1500 watts, equal to 2 horsepower.  That seemed like plenty to me, so I suppose I had better do some more homework. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

I had one of the early Ninja systems. It had 3 different size cups and blade configurations. It never lived up to it's demos and sold the whole kit-and-kaboodle at a yard sale.

I still like my traditional Cuisineart with it's various blade attachments. My favorite is the attachment that lets me shred large amounts of cheese - fun, fun, fun!

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Poodlepet2  Thank you for your opinion and solid reasoning.  You gave me something to consider as I am like your daughter.

To slice, dice or shred, I will reach for my chef knife, box grater and, if the job is large, the mandoline.  I make bread doughs in a bread machine and pie doughs by hand.  Cake / cookie batters are done with a stand mixer, other types generally with a whisk.

Now that I think about it, I use the food processor for blending dressings or grinding nuts for Christmas cookies. The blending that killed my processor today was something from a frozen state; should've known better, but I was impatient.  

Your mention that the Ninja didn't have the power you wanted surprised me as they claim it has 1500 watts, equal to 2 horsepower.  That seemed like plenty to me, so I suppose I had better do some more homework. 

Don't feel bad, I killed one trying to grind up lobster shells for stock and it caught on fire. I could not remember what it was that you threw on a fire to put it out only that it was white. Before I thought it through, I dumped a whole canister of flour on the flame and in a second my upper cabinets were blazing.  My husband loves telling the story of me burning up half the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

Good morning Mrs. G! You did ask about this-yes, the lids do have spouts you can pour ingredients into.

On the power issue: This probably is not fair, but my gold standard is the Vitamix. I make emulsions, grind my own flours, make my own nut milk, hot and cold foods, frozen drinks....and the Ninja came up short.

I think you would be fine with the Ninja for emulsions. It can execute basic functions, but beyond....

For example, I needed to make a chick pea flour. I can do it in three minutes in the Vitamix but in the Ninja, I gave up after 1/2 hour and felt the need to give the machine rest to avoid burning up.

Stiff cookie doughs didn't do so well-although that's not something I would do in my VM. 

Capacity for bread doughs is limited: it's not like a large capacity processor.

If those are not things you are going to be doing, then I would go with the Ninja. I do use my bullet blender frequently for salad dressings etc-and it's a little power house.

All of my technology has its uses for me, the home cook. My daughter has the heart of a chef, and I think one day, she will return. 

You are indeed a chef, so your training and skills surpass the typical home cook by a landslide: you never would have graduated if you couldn't peel a potatoes in seconds or make a meringue using a whisk and bowl-in seconds. No doubt, if we had the skills you did, this technology wouldn't be needed!

If you have no problems with strength or motor skills, then stick to them-and go with the Ninja. I don't think you would regret it.

A final thought: I have a Kitchen Aid wide-mouth large capacity processor-that I love....but I do wish I had gotten the Breville because you can actually take off the top and use it, but if you are slicing, it has the largest feed tube I have ever seen...

On t h e other hand, the KA feed tube is large, but it also has an adaptation on its feed tube that allows me to quickly slice little tomatoes and mushrooms paper thin in seconds....I don't know if the Breville has that.

I would love to know what your decision is....by the way, what were you attempting to do that it "killed" your machine?

Hugs,

Poodlepet2