Honored Contributor

Seriously, is this a normal portion for an adult man?

I made a flank steak last night. I marinated it all day. It was tender and delicious.  I also made roasted baby yukons and fresh spinach.

My husband, who hadn't eaten all day up until this point, made his plate which included three baby yukons, a couple of forksful of spinach and ONE SLICE OF FLANK STEAK.  He said, "What? That's a normal serving."  He agreed it was excellent and later went back and ate one more thin slice.

He's  57 years old, 5'11" tall and weighs just slightly above 150 lbs.  To me, that's too thin and worrisome, since he has other health issues.  He's never been a big eater and I think perhaps his RA meds are messing with his appetite. He had a checkup last week from his primary care doctor and she said his weight is "perfect".  I find that hard to believe.  I also told him to tell her that he doesn't eat a bite of food all day until dinner and she said, "Well, it seems to be working for you."  Whaaaaah?  Does that sound crazy to anyone else?  This is a highly esteemed doctor in our area, not a quack.

Other than last night when I was astonished that anyone could take one slice of flank steak, (of course I had three), I don't bug him about it - we've agreed to disagree.  I'm just wondering if perhaps because I tend to overeat, that my idea of normal portions is off the mark. 

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Seriously, is this a normal portion for an adult man?

I initially agreed with you, that seems like a low weight for him, but then I googled some info and it seems that is a healthy weight for his height...seems low to me, but perhaps not...also depends on his over all size, is he a small man or larger boned...seems there are many factors...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Respected Contributor

Sounds like he needs a little more protein in his diet. I don't think eatting just once a day is a good idea. Does he like eggs. At least have him start the day with a good breakfast. I would have had 3 slices of that steak too, sounded good. Perfect portion size, and no, you are not over eatting.

Respected Contributor

Doctors know very little about how much someone should weigh. They just rely on a chart or the computer to calculate the person's BMI, and they look at the lab results. Alot depends on the person's frame size also. Their computer doesn't take that into consideration.

My mother appears a little on the roly poly side. She is small boned, is 4'10" and weighs 123. That is a little overweight, and maybe at 92 y.o. she should carry a little extra weight.

It sounds like your husband is on the low end of his weight for a small-framed man. His BMI is probably good, so that is what the doctor might be relying on.

I would have eaten 3 slices of that flank steak also. Now I'm going to have to put flank steak on my shopping list!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@house_catIn today's society, few doctors tell people they are too thin and should put on weight.  I think we get so use to people being on the heavier side of thin that our perceptions of what is healthy and what is not gets jaded.  If your husband eats everyday, and eats a good diet, being on the thin side is a plus for him.  He will most likely be healthier than overweight  yo yo dieting adults.  Sounds like he eats to live.  That is a good motto to live by.   Good for him!

Honored Contributor

His medical doctor thinks he's at a healthy weight and doesn't have issues with his eating habits.

You're basing your determination on feelings and your own eating habits.

I'm going to go with the doctor on this one.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't so worried about his weight/height ratio.

By the charts, he's right on target.

But I think we're burying the lead.

What I would be concerned with is the Rheumatoid Arthritis,

especially at such a young age...double especially since he's 

taking drugs for this ailment.

The minimal food he IS eating is only exasperating his RA condition.  

Genetic/not genetic...Acidic foods like meat has no business

in the life of someone w/ arthritis. More than likely oils were on the

potatoes & spinach...again, not good for RA.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom   I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts and threads on health. I worked in the health industry for 24 years and what you share is  right on, even though most people do not want to hear it.  Please continue to share your knowledge even if you get flack from  many who do not want to hear it. 

There is so much we have control over with our health.  It is not always easy to change our outdated perceptions of what is healthy and not.. but, having an open attitude  about making positive changes in our diet and lifestyle can make such a huge huge difference in out overall health.  It is never too late to make these changes and improve out health. And it is always important to question our Doctors about medications they suggest  we take in order  to see if we can make the same positive improvements in our health ourselves rather than taking   a pill.

The sad thing is that we as a society have become so use to  just taking a  prescription medication to cure us and heath issues  and we never investigate what we could do ourselves to get the same outcome by making changes in our lifestyle. I think we have become very lazy as a society.... 

I know you, sidsmom,  advocate a plant based diet.   I think you are right on course about this type of eating rather than our  acidic, toxic chemical laden unhealthy  meat  American diet based on fast, and I want it now.  But, I do not think a person has to go totally plant based to improve their health.  A total change to a  plant base diet might scare away a lot of people  from making good  changes... so, just incorporating  healthier animal protein choices along with a variety of plant proteins  might be a better fit starting out. And of course adding lots of fresh vegetables  over cooked or non at all. Education  in diet is what is needed.  My Husband thought  that eating french fries was eating vegetables....  That is where education starts! Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

I don't think 57 is too young for RA.  Many people are diagnosed with it in their 20's.  It's different than OA which is age-related, but I do think that keeping a relatively low weight is easier on a person with any type of arthritis.  The woman who sits next to me at work has had RA nearly all her life (she's late 50's now), but she is very much overweight, and I watch her struggle just walking to the restroom.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Wow...I'm getting misty-eyed!

I am virtually hugging you for your kind words.

I'm so happy you are reading my message.  

Yes, it's a difficult message to hear, but it needs to be told.  

We have so.much.control over our wellbeing...

and food/nutrition plays such a huge part.  

Just think...if one eats something processed or acidic like

animal products/byproducts & oil, your body is fighting it

from the moment it enters your mouth until you expel it

through a bowel movement.  All that inflammation...only to repeat

that process the next day, and the day after, and after that, etc.

I agree...a lot of people need to transition at a gradient.

Not sure if I would say 'healthier' animal protein..that's the

end result of amazing marketing promotions.

Eat smaller animal portions, remove the fat &

bump up some starch for satiation. 

I would eliminate oil first...there's no taste, you can water/dry fry most anything...there's really no need for these processed oils in cooking.  

Dairy is a strong second...and it's a tough one due to the addictive properties.  So many immediate health benefits from no dairy, like less mucus, less sodium/sugar/fat...dairy definitely has the Holy Addictive Trinity.

Eggs....then meats.  

I would also begin incorporating more bean/legume dishes to ease out meat in the diet. I fell down the rabbit hole of using fake meats & olive oils during my transition yrs ago...and I just ended up being a fat vegan..and health issues remained.  

I could talk days about this...and I appreciate when my words are taken to heart.  Plant-based is such a clean, cheap, ethical way of eating...I don't know why everyone doesn't do it!  

And begin to eat this way?  Changes are almost immediate.

Blood pressure lowers, blood sugars lower, sleep better, just to name a few.

If you need education, there are so many plant-based resources out there.   I would encourage you & your husband to watch FOK...that documentary has been life-changing for sooo many people around the world. 

Thank you, again, from the bottom of my heart!

🌼💛🌼💛