Trusted Contributor

No pun intended, but my Cooks Essentials 6 qt pressure cooker conked out right in the middle of my making dinner last night!  I looked it up and I had it two years TO THE DAY - ordered it on September 10, 2014.  Used it maybe three/four times a month.  I finally convinced myself to get one (hate cooking gadgets) and we were really liking the great flavor of everything I was making. Liked that it did rice as well as slow cooked. I was getting a little creative, too.  Made a really tasty Paella in it (not an AUTHENTIC Spanish Paella, but one that was pretty good for us).

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand I should try next?  

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

No pun intended, but my Cooks Essentials 6 qt pressure cooker conked out right in the middle of my making dinner last night!  I looked it up and I had it two years TO THE DAY - ordered it on September 10, 2014.  Used it maybe three/four times a month.  I finally convinced myself to get one (hate cooking gadgets) and we were really liking the great flavor of everything I was making. Liked that it did rice as well as slow cooked. I was getting a little creative, too.  Made a really tasty Paella in it (not an AUTHENTIC Spanish Paella, but one that was pretty good for us).

@Sammijo10 if you haven't already, I would reach out to either QVC or Cooks Essentials to see if they will honor the warranty since it is so close.  It would be a nice gesture on their part to try and work with you.

If the answer is no, I could not recommend an Instant Pot more.  My original PC was a CE and it worked fine but the first time I tried the Instant Pot I coudn't believe the difference in the quality of the food.  Everything (for me) cooks so much better plus it has a stainless steel liner (which cleans up like a dream).   If you keep an eye on Amazon, they can have some pretty great sales on them.  That's where I bought mine.

Trusted Contributor

I can't tell you how many electric pressure cooked I have gone through over the years. My longest lived was a little over a year. My shortest was one day.

i decided not to purchase any more, but really missed having one.  A few months ago, I purchased the Simply Ming brand from HSN. So far so good. And it has the ceramic non-stick insert....no chemicals leaching into my food under high pressure, high cooking temperatures. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

K122918 I have this one and so have 6 other friends of mine. We all have had this
Cusinart 6 quart Pressure Cooker for about 3 years and none of us have ever had a problem. It is super easy to use and clean. Check online for prices as we all got ours at Lowes for about $100.00 plus shipping. Good luck. The four most used appliances to cook in are my pressure cooker, air fryer, microwave and Ninja 4-in-1 besides the stove and refrigerator. Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

I have read that the Instant pot also has conked out on a lot of people. It seems that all of these type of appliances just aren't reliable any longer.

Honored Contributor

I still use an old school top of the stove Mirro pressure cooker.

Honored Contributor

I kept mine too LOL Always need to fall back on something. I still have my pressure cookers from yrs back from Q not a bit of problem with mine.

The  4 qt oval I had went out. Other places to buy them. Other then that mine lasts long time and I use it once or twice a week. Ones their making nowdays I noticed are a lot lighter then the heavy duty ones of mine that is still working that probably should tell us something.

quality as usual has went down hill. That's pretty well par for the course with everything now days.

Super Contributor

Re: I am so steamed!

[ Edited ]

mtc wrote:

Sammijo wrote:

@Sammijo if you haven't already, I would reach out to either QVC or Cooks Essentials to see if they will honor the warranty since it is so close.  It would be a nice gesture on their part to try and work with you.

If the answer is no, I could not recommend an Instant Pot more.  My original PC was a CE and it worked fine but the first time I tried the Instant Pot I coudn't believe the difference in the quality of the food.  Everything (for me) cooks so much better plus it has a stainless steel liner (which cleans up like a dream).   If you keep an eye on Amazon, they can have some pretty great sales on them.  That's where I bought mine.

@momtochloe  Thanks for the reccommedation on the InstaPot.  One, I can't afford one right now, and two, I still have my Emeril T-Fal pc, which hasn't conked out yet.  Probably because I rarely use it, even after almost 2 years.  LOL  But I have heard so much positivity regarding InstaPots, that when my Emeril pc does conk out, I am definitely going to check out an InstaPot.  I think I might try a 6-quart, which is the size my Emeril one is.  I have a few pressure cooker cookbooks, and the 6-quart size seems to be the prevailing size mentioned in the recipes.  America's Test Kitchen reccomends an 8-quart size pc (if I recall correctly, that is), but that's too big for my family.  What is the quart size of your IP?  Thanks again.  :-)

Honored Contributor

I like my Cuisinart CPC600 6 qt pressure cooker because it comes with a 3 yr warranty. After using 2 times it quit working. I sent it back to Cuisinart & they sent me a new one. No more problems so far. They have one on Amazon for $70. They also carry a replacement interior pot & gasket plus there is a stainless steel inner pot made by Secura if you want to use stainless steel.

Honored Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Sammijo10 wrote:

@Sammijo10 if you haven't already, I would reach out to either QVC or Cooks Essentials to see if they will honor the warranty since it is so close.  It would be a nice gesture on their part to try and work with you.

@momtochloe  Thanks for the reccommedation on the InstaPot.  One, I can't afford one right now, and two, I still have my Emeril T-Fal pc, which hasn't conked out yet.  Probably because I rarely use it, even after almost 2 years.  LOL  But I have heard so much positivity regarding InstaPots, that when my Emeril pc does conk out, I am definitely going to check out an InstaPot.  I think I might try a 6-quart, which is the size my Emeril one is.  I have a few pressure cooker cookbooks, and the 6-quart size seems to be the prevailing size mentioned in the recipes.  America's Test Kitchen reccomends an 8-quart size pc (if I recall correctly, that is), but that's too big for my family.  What is the quart size of your IP?  Thanks again.  :-)

Hi @Ruthie-Roo my first mistake into the PC world was to purchase a 4 quart one as it was just me (that's my CE version).  It is ok for regular meals but if you are looking to cook meat (like say a pork shoulder or beef roast) it's not gonna happen so when I purchased the Instant Pot I went with the six quart and I am very happy with this size.  It gives you enough to eat for the week and enough to freeze for future meals.  I try and find the smallest cut of whatever protein I intend to make in the IP and always comes out great!  Smiley Happy