Trusted Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations!  I've done some research online regarding all the different types of electric pressure cookers (some of the YouTube videos had me cracking up).  After several days of research, it seems the highest rated and most recommended is the Breville - which costs $250!

As much as I would like a ceramic non-stick, and I understand the chemicals in the non-stick used may not be the best, I just don't want the hassle of cleaning the stainless steel pot.  One of the videos that used the Instant Pot was browning chicken as the first step in a recipe in 4 different pots and comparing the results, the Instant pot chicken looked anemic, didn't brown sufficiently, and most of the browned 'skin' was left in the bottom of the pot.  

The controls on the XL looked too complicated, and some of the others didn't slow cook (a neccessary function for me as I don't have an additional slow cooker).  I do need to do a bit more research on the Cuisinart, however, but 

I think I'm actually going to get another Cooks Essentials  - I can purchase 3 of those for the cost of the Breville! 

At least I know now that none of them will last forever.

Honored Contributor

@Ruthie-Roo wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Sammijo10 wrote:

No pun intended, but my Cooks Essentials 6 qt pressure cooker conked out right in the middle of my making dinner last night!  I looked it up and I had it two years TO THE DAY - ordered it on September 10, 2014.  Used it maybe three/four times a month.  I finally convinced myself to get one (hate cooking gadgets) and we were really liking the great flavor of everything I was making. Liked that it did rice as well as slow cooked. I was getting a little creative, too.  Made a really tasty Paella in it (not an AUTHENTIC Spanish Paella, but one that was pretty good for us).

Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand I should try next?  

@Sammijo10 if you haven't already, I would reach out to either QVC or Cooks Essentials to see if they will honor the warranty since it is so close.  It would be a nice gesture on their part to try and work with you.

If the answer is no, I could not recommend an Instant Pot more.  My original PC was a CE and it worked fine but the first time I tried the Instant Pot I coudn't believe the difference in the quality of the food.  Everything (for me) cooks so much better plus it has a stainless steel liner (which cleans up like a dream).   If you keep an eye on Amazon, they can have some pretty great sales on them.  That's where I bought mine.

@momtochloe  Thanks for the reccommedation on the InstaPot.  One, I can't afford one right now, and two, I still have my Emeril T-Fal pc, which hasn't conked out yet.  Probably because I rarely use it, even after almost 2 years.  LOL  But I have heard so much positivity regarding InstaPots, that when my Emeril pc does conk out, I am definitely going to check out an InstaPot.  I think I might try a 6-quart, which is the size my Emeril one is.  I have a few pressure cooker cookbooks, and the 6-quart size seems to be the prevailing size mentioned in the recipes.  America's Test Kitchen reccomends an 8-quart size pc (if I recall correctly, that is), but that's too big for my family.  What is the quart size of your IP?  Thanks again.  :-)

keep watching Amzn, they run "sales" on the instant pot and you could get a good price

Honored Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations!  I've done some research online regarding all the different types of electric pressure cookers (some of the YouTube videos had me cracking up).  After several days of research, it seems the highest rated and most recommended is the Breville - which costs $250!

As much as I would like a ceramic non-stick, and I understand the chemicals in the non-stick used may not be the best, I just don't want the hassle of cleaning the stainless steel pot.  One of the videos that used the Instant Pot was browning chicken as the first step in a recipe in 4 different pots and comparing the results, the Instant pot chicken looked anemic, didn't brown sufficiently, and most of the browned 'skin' was left in the bottom of the pot.  

The controls on the XL looked too complicated, and some of the others didn't slow cook (a neccessary function for me as I don't have an additional slow cooker).  I do need to do a bit more research on the Cuisinart, however, but 

I think I'm actually going to get another Cooks Essentials  - I can purchase 3 of those for the cost of the Breville! 

At least I know now that none of them will last forever.

@Sammijo10 I very much hope you are happy with whatever PC you end up selecting and normally I don't weigh in on a subject once I have stated my case but I have to say I have never had an anemic browning result in my IP.  Actually (for me) the browning has been great (and I am assuming it is because of the SS insert) and again after making whatever sauce/gravy was appropriate to the recipe the clean up on this is a breeze.

Please know I don't mean to beat a dead horse (pressure cooker?) but I have to say I am really a huge fan of the Instant Pot . . . thanks for listening!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Without question I would recommend the Instant Pot pressure cooker for several reasons. The Instant Pot is the ONLY product the company makes so pressure cookers are clearly their focus. It's designed in Canada by the company. That's not true for the Power PC. That's sold by a marketing (not a design) company that markets all kinds of products, not cookware. 

When Amazon had its special deal day a couple of months ago, 250,000 Instant Pots were sold on that day alone. That's incredible. Their customer support is considered outstanding. While not having had to  personally contact their customer service, IP customer service monitors things like Amazon customer reviews and when a customer or potential customer expresses concerns or asks a question, someone from the actual company often responds to the person posting the concern or question. I'm not aware of any maker of pressure cookers or other cookware that does that. When customers contact their customer service department they get a response. In other words it appears that the Instant Pot Customer Service is more responsive and available to customers than any other maker of digital pressure cookers available.

It's my understanding that Instant Pot is now by far the best selling digital pressure cooker. If you have any questions at all, join the Instant Pot Community on Facebook. It has 122,000+ members. There's no question you could have that you couldn't get an answer to there. I don't think there's another Facebook anything like it. I've had an IP for about a year now and can't say enough good things about it. Please seriously consider the IP rather than the Cuisinart, Cook's Essentials or the Power PC XL. I think you'll love it at so many others do.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I like my Cuisinart CPC600 6 qt pressure cooker because it comes with a 3 yr warranty. After using 2 times it quit working. I sent it back to Cuisinart & they sent me a new one. No more problems so far. 

@Nightowlz - I had the exact same experience! Cuisinart's CS was great to work with! That was over a year ago, and the replacement one is still going strong!

@Sammijo10 - It sounds like you really liked your CE one for the two years it worked. The newer ones probably have better features, and their reliability might be better. Like others said, I would call QVC CS and see what they recommend as far as your warranty goes. I would bet they will honor it. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

mtc,

I'm with you on recommending the Instant Pot. I too have never had an anemic browning result in my Instant Pot. The browning setting has low, medium and high setting options. If someone was disappointed with browning, perhaps they used the low setting. Stainless steel interiors are the best and lend themselves to good browning. They're also easy to clean. In my opinion a PC with a nonstick coating is a poor choice.They chip and peel in short order and you don't what the coating in your food.

Three of my favorite pressure cooking experts all use the Instant Pot. I highly recommend checking their websites. They all provide fabulous recipes and information.

Pressure Cooking Today - Barbara Schieving

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/

Hip Pressure Cooking - Laura Pazzaglia

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/

Jill Nussinow, the Veggie Queen

http://www.theveggiequeen.com/

Respected Contributor

Re: I am so steamed!

[ Edited ]

I'm probably chiming in too late, but I vote for the Instant pot also!  I love mine.  I had a 4 qt. CE die after one year and a Nesco die after really fast (can't remember exactly).  They were made by the same company by the way.

I LOVE my Instant Pot.  Stuff really does not stick on the SS pot.  I was concerned about that too.  It is far superior to CE.

Super Contributor

jackthebear wrote:

Ruthie-Roo wrote:

@mtc  Thanks for the reccommedation on the InstaPot.  One, I can't afford one right now, and two, I still have my Emeril T-Fal pc, which hasn't conked out yet.  Probably because I rarely use it, even after almost 2 years.  LOL  But I have heard so much positivity regarding InstaPots, that when my Emeril pc does conk out, I am definitely going to check out an InstaPot.  I think I might try a 6-quart, which is the size my Emeril one is.  I have a few pressure cooker cookbooks, and the 6-quart size seems to be the prevailing size mentioned in the recipes.  America's Test Kitchen reccomends an 8-quart size pc (if I recall correctly, that is), but that's too big for my family.  What is the quart size of your IP?  Thanks again.  :-)

keep watching Amzn, they run "sales" on the instant pot and you could get a good price

@jackthebear  Thanks!  I do love Amazon.  Sales are great.  Will keep my eyes peeled, definitely considering the IP when the time comes for me to get a new pc.

Super Contributor

@mima wrote:

I'm probably chiming in too late, but I vote for the Instant pot also!  I love mine.  I had a 4 qt. CE die after one year and a Nesco die after really fast (can't remember exactly).  They were made by the same company by the way.

I LOVE my Instant Pot.  Stuff really does not stick on the SS pot.  I was concerned about that too.  It is far superior to CE.

@mima  Too late?  Nah.  I, for one, appreciate people's input, whenever they chime in.  Thanks!

Super Contributor

Foodie 7 wrote:

Without question I would recommend the Instant Pot pressure cooker for several reasons. The Instant Pot is the ONLY product the company makes so pressure cookers are clearly their focus. It's designed in Canada by the company. That's not true for the Power PC. That's sold by a marketing (not a design) company that markets all kinds of products, not cookware. 

When Amazon had its special deal day a couple of months ago, 250,000 Instant Pots were sold on that day alone. That's incredible. Their customer support is considered outstanding. While not having had to  personally contact their customer service, IP customer service monitors things like Amazon customer reviews and when a customer or potential customer expresses concerns or asks a question, someone from the actual company often responds to the person posting the concern or question. I'm not aware of any maker of pressure cookers or other cookware that does that. When customers contact their customer service department they get a response. In other words it appears that the Instant Pot Customer Service is more responsive and available to customers than any other maker of digital pressure cookers available.

It's my understanding that Instant Pot is now by far the best selling digital pressure cooker. If you have any questions at all, join the Instant Pot Community on Facebook. It has 122,000+ members. There's no question you could have that you couldn't get an answer to there. I don't think there's another Facebook anything like it. I've had an IP for about a year now and can't say enough good things about it. Please seriously consider the IP rather than the Cuisinart, Cook's Essentials or the Power PC XL. I think you'll love it at so many others do.

@Razzy 7  Thanks!  For my family, not only is budget and product performance important, but great customer service is absolutely crucial. Sounds like IP has it down.  :-)