Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner.  My parents adored grapefruit with salt.  They ate one every day while they were in season.  I often had a basket sent to them from Florida as a Christmas gift.

I like them but take a statin which makes them incompatible.

@Kachina624 Darn!  I used to have cousins in Florida.  And I'm lucky because the statin I take (does anyone NOT take them?) doesn't have issues with grapefruit.

Honored Contributor

If anyone wants my share of grapefruit, you can have it.

I am not big on eating a lot of fruit and especially not grapefruit.

Ohhhh, pucker up, they're too sour for me.

Honored Contributor

I love grapefruit.  Here's my problem:

Here are examples of some types of drugs that grapefruit juice can cause problems (interact) with: Some statin drugs to lower cholesterol, such as Zocor (simvastatin) and Lipitor (atorvastatin). Some drugs that treat high blood pressure, such as Procardia and Adalat CC (both nifedipine).Jul 1, 2021

Respected Contributor

Mmmm. Paloma cocktail of grapefruit juice, tequila and lime. I like over crushed or shaved ice. 

I also like Ocean Spray Diet Ruby Red Grapefuit drink if i have to be good with my blood sugar.

Broiled grapefruit halves with brown sugar ( or splenda brown sugar)... divine.

Valued Contributor
I love grapefruit and grapefruit juice unfortunately neither likes like me I’ve always got a bladder infection when I ate them
Valued Contributor
I can no longer enjoy them because I take a stating drug. But please eat one for me... perhaps I can enjoy one vicariously, lol.
Honored Contributor

I had to give up Minute Maid Orange Juice. Guess it's the acid.  Made my stomach upset, growl, growl.

Making all kinds of noises.

Like their peach juice better anyway. Bright and Early I can drink, but, MM Orange had me sick.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Sooner !  I love grapefruit, too, but for me, I like to eat them like an orange, no sugar, no salt, just grapefruit.  

Honored Contributor

Adore it and growing up always needed a bit of sugar.  Now I do not need to put anything on the fruit.  Just scrape the rind clean.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I can't eat grapefruit due to my taking a statin.  However, since I was never much of a fan, I don't really miss it.  However, before I was taking a statin, I did, on occasion, eat a pink grapefruit with a bit of sugar.  White grapefruit is just to sour for my taste buds.