Contributor

That's it. Mine is red. Sunshine45 you are really good. 

I would try Wal-mart or Bed Bath & Beyond. You might have luck there.

Esteemed Contributor

If you rinse your cup out with hot water right before you use it...it helps a little....

Valued Contributor

Like, @Nataliesgramma, I also rinse my cup w/hot water by adding more to the pot for the initial boil & use this boiling water to warm the cup before making my cup of tea.  If you let it sit for a little bit, even better.

but I like tea hot or iced, no room temperature for me either!  ☕️

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45  Those are pretty cups.

Preheating the cup helps, but I think there's a reason old fashioned tea cups are so small.     I tend to drink tea and coffee rather fast for just that reason.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

When taking coffee or tea in the car, we will preheat the cup or mug with boiling water and then pour in our beverage.  It keeps the liquid hot longer when on the go.  

If I'm into a reading break at home, I will do the same thing.  Of course, while cleaning house, I have been known to microwave the cooling tea--- about 3X is the maximum after which it just doesn't taste right.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

One way to get a few more minutes of hot tea when using a ceramic mug is to prewarm your mug with boiling water.  Generally, I prewarm my teapot  by filling it with boiling water, then I empty it out, add the tea and boiling water, and while it steeps, I also fill my mug with boiling water, too.

Another, perhaps easier solution, would be to invest in a double-walled cup.  There are several brands of glass cups on the market (Bodum makes some) as well as acrylic (Tervis makes them).  These do help keep things hot longer

Frequent Contributor

Amazon and probably others too sell double walled glass mugs or tea cups. Put hot water in first and empty and then put in tea. Then use a silicone topper on top of the mug. Amazon sells them too, mine were cute and had a cat on top. Double walled glass mugs can go into dishwasher but you need to take care with them as they are fragile. I put them in myself but never let my husband load the dishwasher when the mug is in there as he tends to put frying pans on top of them. I tend to sip tea or coffee and they stay hot for about an hour.

Valued Contributor

I just keep my spoon in the cup , The spoon holds the heat , Careful cause the spoon gets hot!!

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

Re: How to keep tea hot

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

As a tea drinker myself I always use boiling water to make tea.  I do not mind "sipping" my tea initially.  At least my tea is still "hot" 30 minutes later.

I don't care for "warm" tea either.

I'm with @Mz iMac, @geegerbee

Even though I drink green tea, and the optimum temperature for making green tea is less than boiling, I do start with boiling water.  (I have tried it both ways, and the hotter water doesn't seem to change it all that much.)

In any event, adding boiling water to the porcelain cup with the tea bag makes a cup that is hot enough close to half an hour later.  That's plenty of time for me to finish the cup.

If you use a tea pot, then a tea cozy is a super simple, very pretty, and VERY effective way to keep your tea hot.  It really works.  Make sure the cozy is thick and poufy. 

You also need no electricity and therefore save energy plus you are not limited by a power cord and can take it anywhere.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.