Honored Contributor

How to cook lobster so it isn't tough?

I don't make lobster often, maybe once every ten years. The last batch was "tough," can someone help me with simple instructions? We just want plain lobster to dip in butter. These are four ounce tails from Costco.

Super Contributor

Re: How to cook lobster so it isn't tough?

Lobster cooks very quickly.

You can boil them, that keeps them moist.

Honored Contributor

If you're buying lobster tails, they must be cooked already. You could follow the instructions for the Lobster Gram product that someone else has posted: rinse in cold water, then put into very hot (not boiling) water for no more than 5 minutes.

I don't buy lobster tails (prefer to go directly to the wharf and let them cook it!) so, if this doesn't work for you, perhaps another poster will have better instructions.

Super Contributor

On 8/6/2014 Venezia said:

If you're buying lobster tails, they must be cooked already.

The tails I buy are raw. They're still grey, and I need to slice the shell a bit to allow for expansion when they cook. After cooking, the shells turn pink.

Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 ennui_too said:

The tails I buy are raw. They're still grey, and I need to slice the shell a bit to allow for expansion when they cook. After cooking, the shells turn pink.

We broiled raw lobster tails recently in the oven. We drizzled them with melted butter, paprika and salt and pepper and broiled them for 8 mins in the oven - delicious!

Trusted Contributor

I posted this back when someone wanted to know how to cook larger tails........This works for any.....http://www.lobsterhelp.com/baking-lobster-tails.html ??????
The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Respected Contributor

Super Contributor

We steam them live....
Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 FastDogWalker2 said:
On 8/6/2014 ennui_too said:

We broiled raw lobster tails recently in the oven. We drizzled them with melted butter, paprika and salt and pepper and broiled them for 8 mins in the oven - delicious!

We use our oven in the winter, but love the grill this time of year. We drizzle with butter and hot sauce.

Super Contributor

If you're cooking 4 oz lobster tails, you would cook for NO MORE than 1 (ONE) minute per ounce for a total of 4 minutes. Doesn't matter if you're cooking one tail or a dozen, your total time will be four minutes. Doesn't matter if you're baking, steaming, grilling or boiling. Any more than 4 minutes, and they're overcooked and overcooked shellfish becomes tough and rubbery.

I generally cut through the top shell and remove the vein; brush with clarified butter and either broil or bake at 400° for the required time. If grilling, you can cut through to the bottom and butterfly; again, use clarified butter or ghee. The milk solids in clarified butter WILL burn. If butterflied, the cooking time will be less. Those small 4 oz butterflied tails will cook in 2 - 3 minutes.