Trusted Contributor

Re: How often do you buy new everyday dishes?

In my 38 years of marriage, I have never bought a set of dishes, my SIL gave us her complete set that she had in storage when she got divorced from her first husband and through the years we either have been given a (4) piece set as gifts, etc., so our everyday dishes are mis-matched, but we don't mind.

Honored Contributor

I got rid of my old Corelle from the 70's about 5 years ago as well as some solid cream colored stoneware too---so boring and it chipped way to easliy--and bought fiestaware---have alot of it in many colors and I love it--makes me happy to see the bright colors. I buy a couple new pieces in June for my b-day in the years new color----and have a few vintage pieces too. I use it everyday.

Respected Contributor

Not positive, but I don't think I've ever bought a set of dishes. When I was young and starting out, I'd buy random stuff at Goodwill or Salvation Army, etc., and the rest were given to me.

Now, I must say that I'm a 'breaker', and have never met a dish or glass that is safe for long in my house....

...which is why I'm a huge fan of restaurant ware. That stuff is indestructible, and perfect for me.

About 25 years ago, the hotel restaurant that I was working in was replacing their dinnerware, & the old was being tossed, so I brought home a bunch of it for both my sister and me. Score!

We're both still using them, & they'll probably outlive us both.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will say we have had lots of dishes because I love them.  Starting in the 1990's I collected a lot of pieces of the white French dinnerware Williams Sonoma sells (bought with points and coupons and on sale).  Not sets, put the basics in different sets, usually 4 pieces at a time. 

They go in the microwave and wear like iron.  During working years, we ate from plates on the table all meals.

The way we cooked changed a lot about 12 years ago, and we eat a lot of stir fry dishes, rice and grain based, lots more veggies, beans and soups etc., so we have a variety of bowls, jumbo cups, and small Asian cups with no handles for sauces, salsas, etc.

The most used items now are flat bowls, rimmed soup bowls, and pasta bowls.  Favorites are the heavier French white ones and the ones from Lenox Butterfly Meadow, which are light.  And more often we don't eat at a table.  BUT we do use our dining room more now because it is nice and we tend to linger at the table when we do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have owned several sets of everyday dishes during our long marriage.  I am fond of English dishes, to be sure.  We have been using Portmeirion’s Botanic Garden for quite a few years now, and once in a while use Spode’s blue and white dishes for a different look.  Obviously, I like patterns in my dinnerware.  

Honored Contributor

@sabatini 

I would love to find the old style diner plates and coffee mugs!

My grandmother had several diner pieces; particularly 2 small oval platters she used as bread plates.  I loved to eat off those small platters, and have the lone survivor in the collection of dishes from her home.   I can find that pattern in searches, but pieces are not available for purchase, which makes me think these pieces go way back, as in 30's and 40's.

Esteemed Contributor

I have this bumble bee set that I got last year and I dearly love bringing it out for the spring and summer months.

Trusted Contributor

: How often do you buy new everyday dishes?

[ Edited ]

I use the Franciscan Apple pattern that was my mom's favorite everyday dishes.  I think she bought every accessory piece that was made in that pattern!!  Still love it! I have no one to leave it to so if I break a piece, so be it.  So far so good.  Haven't broke a piece yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: : How often do you buy new everyday dishes?

@arrabella wrote:

I use the Franciscan Apple pattern that was my mom's favorite everyday dishes.  I think she bought every accessory piece that was made in that pattern!!  Still love it! I have no one to leave it to so if I break a piece, so be it.  So far so good.  Haven't broke a piece yet.

@arrabella  I also have these. My Mom and my Grandmother both had them so I have many pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat - Congrats on your new purchase!

I, too, love all the options for dinnerware sets on the market. I especially enjoy all the specialty serving pieces as well as items with geometric or seasonal patterns. I have waaaaay too many platters and bowls and things with unique colors and/or designs that I pull out for special occasions. I also have a collection of Temp-tations Figural Fruit Strawberry dinnerware and accessories that makes a few appearances during the summertime, even if that's sometimes just on display shelves, plus a set of Corelle Winter Holly dinnerware that we use every couple of Christmases.

However, for my everyday dishes, I have a great big set of Corelle in "Breathtaking Blue Beads" that I purchased a little over eight years ago and have no plans to replace. Complementing it with some Frost White pieces and some cobalt Fiesta from time to time, I've just continued to love it since the day I saw it—and it all is still in the same condition it was on that day.  Smiley Happy