Honored Contributor

How often do you buy new everyday dishes?

Ever since childhood, I've loved dinnerware and pots and pans.  I've been married 40 years and I've had countless sets of everyday dishes, bowls and cups. I've also had small homes all these years, so I don't keep anything that I'm not using. Needless to say, I've donated a lot of dishes.

I just changed my kitchen colors and once again I bought new dinnerware.  None of my sets have ever been expensive or fancy. Most have been Corelle, as is my newest set.

IMG_5356.jpg

I'm wondering if my forum friends share this passion.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How often do you buy new everyday dishes?

Nope, I have some of the same dishes I had when I got married.  Mostly Corelle like you and they are like iron, never wear out.   I have of course added many dishes over the years (mostly holiday serving bowls) and pots and pans.

When I did buy I bought very good ones so they don't need to be replaced.  

I'm not very matchy in my kitchen, I love color so I have some Fiesta also and they are all different colors!  LOL

I'm happy for you, enjoy your new collection Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have a lot of Villeroy and Boch dishes that go way back. They have a lot of patterns too that are mix and match, so it gives me a wide variety of choices.  

I also have white dishes that go with anything and especially mix and match with the Spode blue and white patterns that are also mix and match.  

I am a good customer of Villeroy and Boch and they have super sales sometimes both online and especially at Macys!  Sometimes I get another 10 percent rebate from Rakuten too. 

Honored Contributor

Grew up in a community where dishes (all types,not Correlle)were made. Love dishes and have several sets.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Honored Contributor

In my entire life - I bought dishes exactly two times.  Once in1963, and again about 15 years ago.

Honored Contributor

I'm with @ALRATIBA 

Only on my 2nd set.

The first set of Corelle was a mish mash of my mom's and mine combined and nothing matched.  Used them for years anyways, maybe 40?

Just bought my first 'own' set 4 years ago when we built the new house.

Corelle, red and gray....

Honored Contributor

LOVE CORELLE, LOVE THE PATTERN!!!!

Respected Contributor

@house_cat I am the opposite. I do not like change. I still have my Noritake Up-Sa Daisy everyday dishes. They were a wedding selection. They still look very nice. I wish today's quality were up to the standards in the 1960's. We stopped using it, but it is still my favorite set.

Honored Contributor

When we first got married (40+ years ago). We bought a complete Corelle set. We eventully found every size of dishes, platters, bowls and accessories.

After a number of years, I found Lenox Summer Terrace. So I ended up buying 12 place settings and all the accessories. We are still using it. And I still like it. Still is in great shape and can't say there is another pattern out there that I would rather have.

But I will say if I do buy another set of everyday dishes, I am going back to Corelle. I like that they are lighweight.

Summer Terrace 4 Piece Place Setting by Lenox Image 1

Esteemed Contributor

I have about 4 sets of everyday china and I rotate them when I'm bored.