Super Contributor

Re: How Often Do You and DH Have Leftovers?

We almost never had leftovers when I cooked for a family. Except when I made a big pot of something like chili.  But now that I'm the only one left at home, I have leftovers all the time!   It took a lot of getting used to (cooking for one), but I've come to like it. It's really easy to put one pork chop or one piece of chicken. Or just have breakfast for dinner.

There are a lot of things that aren't so easy to make for one meal - spaghetti, casseroles, soups and stews, meatloaf, etc.  Thankfully these things also freeze exceptionally well!   I do not wait to make freezer meals with my leftovers - I divide it all up right away, and make several TV dinners.  I don't really call them leftovers since they are going in the freezer right away. It's nice to always have home cooked meals ready to heat and eat.

Honored Contributor

I think that if we usually ate more traditional meat, starch, potato meals -- no recipe needed -- we would not like leftovers.

But we cook mostly from recipes and love all sorts of different foods -- ethnic, vegetarian, pasta dishes, soups, etc. -- that not only in quantity but in taste lend themselves to leftovers and sometimes freezing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I'm not a big fan of leftovers, either.  I try to have small dinners, so we have maybe just one more serving, that my hubby can take to work.  I'm ok with a bit of meat left, but not the sides.  If I have leftovers, I try to throw them in with eggs for a breakfast treat.  I'm ok with mexican-type things, like burrito filling, etc.  I could eat that stuff everyday.Smiley Happy

We do have leftovers almost everyday during the week.  Friday night is leftover night, unless we go out.

I don't like to cook much anymore.  My brain is fried (figuratively) making an exciting menu.  Ugh.

Valued Contributor

If it was up to DH, we'd never have them!  

I usually end up eating them over the period of a few days for lunch or if he's dining elsewhere for dinner, I finish them then. 

Respected Contributor

Oh about every other day.....like most people! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I usually cook enough to have leftovers twice  as dinners and then once for lunches. Last week was a 4 pound pot roast with all the trimmings for dinner then was made into hot roast beef sandwiches the next night and then roast beef sandwiches in lunch the next. Used it all up and boy, that roast got better and better.