Honored Contributor

Re: How Often Do You and DH Have Leftovers?

@house_cat wrote:

On Monday I make something that can be transformed later in the week. 

For instance, I'll make a generous portion of salmon, and then add it to a pasta dish on Wednesday. Or I'll grill chicken and serve it with baked potato and a veggie, then on Thursday it shows up atop a spinach salad.  In other words, they are leftovers in disguise :-)

@house_cat, All of those sound yummy.  He won't eat a main dish salad although I do quite often.  I wish!

Honored Contributor

Throughout our marriage, we have always planned weekly menus for three meals that will serve us twice. The remaining day we wing it.

I was a pretty good cook in the early days, but now my husband, who is just a natural-born cook who amazes me with his talent, does the cooking.

So his food is wonderful the first time and even better the second time. I am a very lucky person. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I love not having to cook a new meal every night, so I love good leftovers.  That's exactly what a casserole is and I love casseroles.  I collect recipes for updated healthy casseroles.

The other night I made one of our favorite chicken recipes: chicken tenders in an apricot preserves balsamic reduction.  Enough for night #2!

I'll also get enough salmon to have leftovers for lunch the next day atop a salad.

Respected Contributor

cook 3 nights enoght for 3 for nights. my wife does the same thing. she plans a menu for the next week that we discuss and she writes shopping list and i go shopping.

Respected Contributor

It really depends on what time of year it is. In the Winter I make a lot of soups and things in the crockpot and we have it a couple of nights. In the Summer we grill meat and have salad so not any leftovers. It is just the two of us so we don't cook large amounts. Neither of us are really crazy over left over meat and things like that unless it is a roast then we will have roast sandwiches the second night. It is nice on the nights we do have left overs though so we really don't have to cook.

Honored Contributor

My youngest daughter drives a tractor trailer for a living and makes runs to the west coast each week.   When she's home, I try to cook her favorite foods, which results in most of the leftovers we eat after she returns to work.   Friday is trash day, so anything not eaten on Thursday evening, gets bagged up and tossed.   Right now our main refrigerator is pretty bare, but with trucker girl due home late tomorrow, I will start cooking meals again, and fill the shelves once more.   My husband and I are content with breakfast for supper, a BLT, a pot pie, etc.  

This weekend I will be making stuffed peppers, cube steak and gravy, and a turkey breast, which should cover the meals while our   daughter is here.   

We eat a lot of leftovers, but eating something twice is our limit, so I try not to cook more than that amount.    

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby will eat leftovers one day only...and only certain" leftovers"...like lasagna or stuffed peppers and soup.

Honored Contributor

More than I care to.  Since DH retired a year ago, he's been on a tear about not wasting things.  When he worked out of town I just pitched those tiny amounts that accumulated in the frig.  There is no way to get them to those starving children in India, anyway. 

Frequent Contributor

No DH here, I live alone. Many suppers are cereal, can of soup or sandwich. Food is not generally sold in portions for one. I hate freezing stuff. So no to leftovers for me

Respected Contributor

We eat a lot of leftovers.   Some things actually taste better the next day.    I try and only have enough for one day but some soups will be really good for 2 days.  After that anything left gets dumped.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*