Trusted Contributor

Re: How Does/Did DH's Tastes Differ From Yours?

My husband and I are opposites in many ways.  We don't agree on a political party, he is a morning person, I am a night owl.  He likes old movies (40's, 50's, 60's) me...not so much!  He's usually cold, I'm hot.  He loves to clean, I hate it.  He hates chinese food, I run to the chinese take-out when he's out of town.  He hates steak, again, I run to get a steak when he goes out of town,  He likes the Mets, I'm a Yankee girl at heart, he loves football, I hate it.  His favorite season is winter, I'm a spring/summer person.  I love to socialize, he's more a homebody.  While we are opposite in many ways, something is clicking...we've been married 30 years!  I guess we're both very tolerant of each other's differences!

Regular Contributor

I think you and I could be sisters and our husbands brothers as far as food tastes go.  My husband will eat salad, but only if it is ONLY lettuce.  No tomatoes or anything else on it.  He will eat some veggies, but very few.  The big difference between us is, he can eat & loves spicey foods.  While I like the taste of them, they sure don't like me at all.  I've tried several varieties of hot & spicey and my gut reaction is always the same......it rejects them.  I know that it is the "rage" to add hot & spicey to every dish known to man these days, and I know it can be left out.  That being said, I am soooo tired of the addition of some kind of spice to everything these days I could scream.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I guess our taste difference is he loves fried food - chicken fried steak, shrimp, crawfish, catfish, pork chops, chicken, French fries, hush puppies, and mushrooms. He is from Texas - And, his Mom fried like three times a week. I am from New York - and I never really knew anyone that fried a lot (not saying they don't - just the people we knew) -  except maybe chicken once in awhile in the summer. Usually everything was baked or broiled.

OH - but the BIGGEST difference is that he hates chocolate! I remember being like totally shocked by that one when we first started going out! I NEVER knew anyone that did not like chocolate! Now, that I am thinking about it - I think my jaw must have dropped to the floor on that one!! I was seriously thinking "you are crazy dude!"! 😀 Yep, after all these years - I am still shaking my head over that one!!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

@CAMOGIRL<I NEVER knew anyone that did not like chocolate! >  I do not think I have either !Smiley Happy

DH will eat about anything if it is cooked for him. His specialties are a box of Mac and cheese--he follows directions on the box and measures and stirs carefully! Also very good at picking up fast food --after a million years he gets my salad correct. He was blessed with a good metabolism -- me not so much. His serving size of pumpkin pie and homemade apple crisp is a nine inch pie plate. so when I make those I need not worry about over indulging . About the only thing we differ on is I love Asian restaurants and he prefers a steak serving one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The biggest food difference is olives.  He will eat anything with olives.  Olives are his favorite food group.  Me, I avoid olives at all costs.  Just saying the word makes me nauseous.

He likes sweets; me not so much.

He is more easily rattled; I am more laid back, calmer.

I spend more; he saves more.

He is very good about hanging up his clothes; I tend to throw something over the bedroom chair and go back hours later to hang it in the closet.

I am very patient; he is very impatient.

Fortunately our good and bad balance each other, so life moves along pretty smoothly.

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I guess our taste difference is he loves fried food - chicken fried steak, shrimp, crawfish, catfish, pork chops, chicken, French fries, hush puppies, and mushrooms. He is from Texas - And, his Mom fried like three times a week. I am from New York - and I never really knew anyone that fried a lot (not saying they don't - just the people we knew) -  except maybe chicken once in awhile in the summer. Usually everything was baked or broiled.

OH - but the BIGGEST difference is that he hates chocolate! I remember being like totally shocked by that one when we first started going out! I NEVER knew anyone that did not like chocolate! Now, that I am thinking about it - I think my jaw must have dropped to the floor on that one!! I was seriously thinking "you are crazy dude!"! 😀 Yep, after all these years - I am still shaking my head over that one!!!

@CAMOGIRLI've run into several people that didn't like chocolate!  It is SO amazing! LOL!

Respected Contributor

He drinks coffee and has an occasional beer. 

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG Thank you for your kind words.  Yes, I miss him every day.  However, my family and I chose to celebrate his life rather than mourn his loss.  Sure, I have times when I boo hoo but those are when I'm alone in my thoughts.   My daughters, son-in-laws, grandchildren (who didn't know him or were infants when he died) talk about him all of the time.  The tiny personal things we did together as a family (we had so many silly games like sitting on huge balloons and bursting them, making and flying kites, we all did it together) have been passed on to his/our grandchildren.  It's funny but when they talk about Grandaddy, you'd think he was alive, you'd never know they'd never met him.

My daughters best friend since she was 5 years old just died.  It brought back a lot of memories for her.  The girls were very close to their Dad so it was difficult.  She's using those memories to comfort her friend who she says helped her.  I think GOD expects us to do that, my guess is you do too.

Here's one of  the many quotes I try to live by (don't always succeed (as you can tell) but I try real hard.:

"We must be willing to give up the life we've planned in order to live the life ahead of us" (Joseph Campbell)

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

big heart.png

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

When we first got married, he would only eat broccoli and cauliflower and it had to be cold!

Thankfully that has changed.  

He still won't eat brussel sprouts or turnips but that's okay and way better than just the two original.