Honored Contributor

I use the pre-cooked kind, either Oscar Meyer or Hormel in the Midwest. The problems you mention are the reason why. Those bacon bowls intrigue me, though, the heighth of decadence.

Honored Contributor

Pretty much only in the microwave at this point and usually I just heat the pre-cooked kind.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I have the most wonderful little Presto Microwave bacon cooker. You lay the bacon across the racks and cook for 6 minutes. It's perfectly cooked, the grease drips down into the little pan that comes with it so it's not greasy or undercooked. You can cook it more or less depending on how you like your bacon. We like ours cooked crispy.

You just place a couple of paper towels on top so that it doesn't spatter. It works like a charm.

I think the pan was $15 at a kitchen outlet store.

Super Contributor

I cook bacon in a half sheet pan on a rack with ½" square openings. I line the pan itself with foil. For general eating and sandwiches, I usually buy Burger's Bacon Steak - 7 slices to the pound. I can cook about 12 or 13 slices at a time.

When I do bacon, I will do 4 or 5 pounds, one right after the other, then toss in freezer to use as needed. I also partially cook a pound or two of thin sliced bacon to use when I want to wrap things like filet, scallops, dates or whatever I'm making for appetizers.

I remove the fat after each batch, allow to cool then store in freezer in small Tupperware containers. The bacon fat is great for flavor when cooking things like hash browns, frittata, and the like.

Trusted Contributor

This is the non stick nordic ware non stick microwave bacon cooker that I used to use, as the grease is in the well, but now I cook in the convection oven, as I place on the jelly roll pan, no need for foil, as it is non stick, and I just throw it in the dishwasher after draining the grease in the trash or fox pan (I live on a fox pen), and put it in the oven at 400 degrees (convection) from the start, and by the time it reaches the 400 degrees, the bacon is done........I also ROLL the bacon piece by piece, and freeze it, so you can take out as many pieces as you need very easily, and in just a few minutes......you can unroll it and cook as to your method........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

I cook it in the microwave. I put 2 paper towels on the plate, then the bacon and 2 more paper towels. I tuck the corners in and turn it on for 3 minutes. I take it out and use another plate and do the same. No more than 1 minute. I use Oscar Mayer center cut bacon. It's thin and shorter than other bacons. I like it well done and crispy.

Super Contributor

I got a Green Pan bacon pan from the Southern Channel a couple of years ago. Kind of reminds me of a broiler pan but it is bigger and there are more narrow slits across the top. Works great and all the bacon grease collects in the bottom pan. Haven't used it since I got my new oven because of the grease splatter, but love the idea of parchment, which I keep a roll of on hand. Great idea Chickenbutt! Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Rocketmom! Whenever I see your name I start singing Rocket Man. Anyway, do try it. You'll love it. No splatter and the parchment doesn't stick to the bacon. It stays down well enough to keep from having anything splatter up or outward. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor
On 1/13/2014 Kay SD said:

Does anybody know if you can do bacon in a George Foreman, or is it too thin?

This is the only way to cook it. All the grease drips out and the bacon stays flat and doesn't curl. You can cook it to the crispness you like too.

Contributor

I've never purchased parchment paper, although I've heard of it. I'm not exactly sure what it is. I always picture it as being similar to wax paper. What do you use it for, besides covering bacon in the oven (which sounds like a great idea)! Can it be used in a microwave oven?