Super Contributor

Since it will soon be Good Friday and Easter, wondering if anyone enjoys hot cross buns? My mother was English, so it is something we always had. She would sometimes get them from the bakery, or she would make them, but I don't have her recipe for them. They are now in my local grocery store, but they aren't good. Wondered if anyone that enjoys them has a recipe they use and would be willing to share.

Super Contributor

Me! But my local bakery makes some that are quite nice, so I don't have a recipe.

Respected Contributor

I bought some the other day, It's an annual ritual for me. I have a recipe and made the buns one year, I found them to be extremely dry. So I'll stick to buying them from my local bakery.

Super Contributor
On 4/12/2014 deeva said:

I bought some the other day, It's an annual ritual for me. I have a recipe and made the buns one year, I found them to be extremely dry. So I'll stick to buying them from my local bakery.

I wish I could find a bakery that makes good ones, when made properly they are so yummy. The ones in my grocery store are too heavy, like dough-bricks, and hardly any currants in them.

Respected Contributor

I love them! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I used to get them in Publix every year, but this year I found that they were rather dry, and didn't enjoy them as much as I used to. Then I saw Entenmann's hot cross buns in Walmart....OMGosh, are they ever good! I've been looking for more, as I'd like to freeze a few boxes. I went to several Walmarts with no luck; hopefully they'll have more in next week.

In off-season I have to make my own if I want them, but when it comes to making things for just me I tend to be lazy. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Occasional Contributor
I love hot cross buns and just have to have some every Good Friday. Donna Hay has a good recipe on her website donnahay.com.au