Regular Contributor

Help with removing a stain on my stained, wooden table

I have what's probably best described as what looks like a left over grease stain on my stained, wooden table, although it doenst feel greasy to the touch. I've tried Dawn dish soap, diluted white vinegar,  and rubbling alcohol, and it won't come off. Any ideas of what else I can try? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Help with removing a stain on my stained, wooden table

Maybe,

• Baking soda
    Sprinkle baking soda on the stain, add a few drops of water to form a paste, scrub, rinse, and pat dry. Baking soda's mild alkali properties dissolve grease in water. You can also combine baking soda with white vinegar to break up grease and grime. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do believe the only way to get rid of it is to sand and stain the area.  It might be difficult to to match the wood stain. It evidently has soaked into the wood.  It might help you with getting further stains of you sand and stain the whole table top and put something like a polyurethane on it that will not absorb any thing spilled.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Glorimar - As a first step before trying @meallen616's good suggestion, try just covering the area with some baking soda or cornstarch and letting that sit for a few hours; it is possible the powder will absorb some of the grease from the table and then you'll be able to clean it thoroughly. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Glorimar - I'd use Orange oil.  You can research where to buy.  (I always have this at home.  Also great for other things like removing the glue left by sticky labels.  The brand I have is Orange Clean, but there are others.  Just make sure it's pure orange oil.  Also smells great!)

Benefits of Orange Oil for Wood

Orange oil is a natural product, which means that it doesn't contain harmful chemicals like most other cleaners. This is a big reason orange oil is safe to use on wood, as it means there's nothing in it to compromise the integrity of the wood’s finish. In fact, orange oil helps to polish wood finishes to bring back their original luster and sheen. What’s more, orange oil forms a protective layer on top of your wood, helping to prevent dust build-up and making future dusting a breeze.

Honored Contributor

Google "how to remove grease stain on wood table" and read the professional suggestions.  You do not want to make that small stain worse!

Respected Contributor

A vase, potted plant, decorative platter, table runner, table cloth =)

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@Glorimar - As a first step before trying @meallen616's good suggestion, try just covering the area with some baking soda or cornstarch and letting that sit for a few hours; it is possible the powder will absorb some of the grease from the table and then you'll be able to clean it thoroughly. Good luck!

Yeah. Making a poultice to try and absorb the stain is a good first step. It can be a wet or dry poultice and a hot or room temperature one. You can find all kinds of tips by Googling "Using a poultice to remove a stain."

There are commercial poultices you can buy also, but I'm not sure they're more effective than the homemade stuff. If it is an oil/grease stain, a wet poultice is often more effective as oil is lighter than water and with luck, the stain will float out of the wood or stone and into the poultice where it will then be absorbed.   

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!