Respected Contributor

Help! I burned my tea kettle !

Left my tea kettle boiling too long...it's ruined...the electric burner has white marks and around the burner is brown from heat on my white stove top. Any ideas on how to clean this mess?? Any suggestions will be appreciated! THANK YOU!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Help! I burned my tea kettle !

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once you get it squared away buy yourself a WHISTLING teapot. They screech so annoyingly loud when the water comes to a boil you'll go running to take it off the burner so it shuts up before any damage can be done.

Honored Contributor

You might try testing Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or Bar Keepers Friend. Another option is to put a big pot of boiling water with baking soda in it on the stove and put the tea kettle in that, letting it boil for a minute. You can also rub traditional coil burner drip pans with a Scotch Brite Dobie and Softscrub.

Respected Contributor

I would suggest trying a Mr. Clean white cleaning eraser sponge. Also buy yourself a keurig that work so well for hot water , and best of all , NO FORGETTING WHEN WATER IS DONE. I love not having to use a tea kettle any longer. A mini keurig is what I have, and it barely takes up any room. Or an electric tea kettle it turn itself to warm. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's a shame, @ellaphant .

I guess I'd try the least damaging things first. Scrub with baking soda, then with Barkeepers Friend.

I have two electric tea kettles, both bring water to a boil much faster than my old stovetop kettle did.

They both shut themselves off automatically which is a feature I really appreciate. I picked them up at Aldi.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I would suggest trying a Mr. Clean white cleaning eraser sponge. Also buy yourself a keurig that work so well for hot water , and best of all , NO FORGETTING WHEN WATER IS DONE. I love not having to use a tea kettle any longer. A mini keurig is what I have, and it barely takes up any room. Or an electric tea kettle it turn itself to warm. 

Since you use your Keurig for making the tea can you tell me if the water gets hot enough to make a strong cup of tea?    I've always thought that in order for the tea to taste right the water needs to boil.   That is why I never used a microwave to get the water hot for a cup of tea.  

Right now I have an electric tea kettle for making my tea.   I've thought about buying a mini Keurig for the one cup of coffee that my husband drinks in the morning.

If I could also use it for tea I would feel that it would be worth the purchase.

Honored Contributor

We had a whistling teapot. My Mother-in-law still burned our tea pot. She actually melted the knob on top and part of the handle. And the knobs were tested to 425 degrees (I think that was the #).

Fortunately my husband came home for lunch. The kettle had been "cooking" since her breakfast time.

It happens.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

Since you use your Keurig for making the tea can you tell me if the water gets hot enough to make a strong cup of tea?    I've always thought that in order for the tea to taste right the water needs to boil.   That is why I never used a microwave to get the water hot for a cup of tea.  

Right now I have an electric tea kettle for making my tea.   I've thought about buying a mini Keurig for the one cup of coffee that my husband drinks in the morning.

If I could also use it for tea I would feel that it would be worth the purchase.

@J Town Girl   If you want my two cents, get yourself an electric kettle!  Safe, fast and inexpensive they are wonderful!  My first one cost $12 and worked as well as the other two more expensive ones I've had.

I got one more expensive last time because it customizes the water temp for various types of teas like green and oolong, etc.  

Loose and even good bagged tea is far better than Keurig tea (we have those too but don't care for the tea they make). 

Trusted Contributor

Following a previous poster: suggest you buy an electric tea kettle. I have ceramic one that I love. It brings the water to a boil and then shuts off automatically. It looks terrific and I don't have to fire up a burner on the stove or hope my microwave will heat hot enough when I just want a cup of tea.

My daughter gave me my first one for Christmas. I wore it out after several years of frequent use. I bought a new one. The Brand is Bella. They are a white ceramic with pretty patterns. I love mine.

I can boil water for tea in the  morning and run around like crazy and not worry about a tea kettle burning up. I've done that, too!