Super Contributor

Re: Help Have NYE Cooking Dilemma!

On 12/31/2014 colliegirls said:

HAVE to make pork and sauerkraut for New Years even though none of our children ever liked sauerkraut. TOO BAD, I make their pork separate from ours but they have to eat a tiny drop of sauerkraut and the awful herring!! ITS OUR TRADITION!! That seems to work for all of us! Smiley Happy

Yep I agree collie, bad luck not to eat a bite of sauerkraut at New Years. I normally have it at MIL's house but she is no longer able to cook so the task falls to me.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions. I wish you all a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year!

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/31/2014 MINT said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I wish you all a Happy, Healthy and Safe New Year!

Same to you!!!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

I love pork and sauerkraut, but wasn't aware that it is a New Year's tradition in some parts of the country. It's always interesting to hear about traditions around the country and world.

Here in the South, we always have pork (traditionally it was pork jowls, but many of us nowadays cook ham, chops, or some other form of pork), collard greens, blackeyed peas, and cornbread. I usually serve this with fresh sliced tomatoes, sliced sweet onions, spicy pickled peppers, and a tall glass of cold milk. The collards are supposed to bring lots of "greenbacks" and the blackeyes lots of "coins" in the New Year......so it's a meal promoting prosperity. My collards are simmering in the crockpot as I type......out on the porch, because DH doesn't like them and hates the way they smell up the house while cooking. I can't wait for tonight's New Year dinner and will eat a double portion of collards to make up for DH not eating any!