Trusted Contributor

Have You Tried This? Does it Work?

I saw somewhere that if you put a piece of tin foil on the cut stem end of a bunch of bananas they won't ripen as quickly.  I like bananas, but only at a certain ripeness and it is only about one, maybe two days, and then they are too ripe for me.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Tried This? Does it Work?

@wismiss I tried it and it did nothing.  I think it's all in how old the bananas really are.  They are probably gassed while being shipped to delay ripening, and ripen quicker if older when we buy them.

It possibly has been worse recently because of shipping delays that were weather related.

Esteemed Contributor

Bananas ripen so fast now. We can't keep a weeks worth anymore because they get black too fast. We always did this. Over 30 years we did this. I really can't figure out what changed. 

Honored Contributor

I never heard that.  I wish they could come up with something that would work.  The bananas are overly ripe before I can get to even half of them.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I rarely buy more than 2 bananas at one time and even though I like mine quite ripe, I often end up freezing one or half of one.  It’s already summer here, so my banana “popsicle” is a perfect dessert.

Honored Contributor

Bananas will last a little longer if you separate them instead of leaving them in a bunch. 

Frequent Contributor

I tried it, and it didn't really work for me.   But I now have been using the Debbie Meyer "green bags" to store bananas.  Not perfect, but they will extend the time somewhat.  You can get them at hsn, bb&b and some grocery stores.

Super Contributor

The technique that does work for me is to put bananas in my wine fridge.  That temperature is about 55 degrees.  It definitely keeps them at a greener stage for a few extra days.  I hadn’t thought of separating the bunch, but I will try that now, too, as I store them wind fridg.

Honored Contributor

I use Debbie Meyer green bags and IMO they do extend the life of a banana by a couple of days.  Never heard of what the OP is suggesting.

Respected Contributor

@wismiss   I have never heard of using tin foil, but have used plastic wrap to seal up the ends where the bananas were torn from the rest of the bunch.  What I was told is that when air gets in through those areas, it makes them ripe faster.  I think it works by extending it a few days, but not for a week(s).  

Many times you'll see them wrapped at the store.

......You look like I need a drink.....