Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Tried This? Does it Work?

I use a lot of bananas and here is what I have done:  Buy them green, put in refrigerator and pull out 2-3 days before you need.  

The reverse, if you buy them ready to eat, putting them in the refrig slows/stops the ripening.  Also the skins will darken but the banana is just fine and not over ripe. .

Too ripe, peel & freeze, great for baking and smoothies.

Honored Contributor

I've never tried that, but there is one thing that does help - don't put your new bananas in a bowl with, or too close to any more ripened bananas that you might already have.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Interesting !  Never tried it BUT

Wrap your celery in foil, store in fridge and it will last forever!

I read this somewhere a long time ago and have done it for years! It really works.

Respected Contributor

I just posted this tip a week ago under the "Bananas" thread, so yes, I do this. It prolongs the life of the bananas long enough for them to get eaten!

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing I ever tried really worked.

I only like them green and when this virus is over, I am so going to store every two days and get my fix.  I never I could miss them.

Respected Contributor

I've tried this and it didn't work. I buy bananas with more green than yellow, since I don't like fully ripe bananas. 
I buy 3 or 4 bananas a couple of times a week. DH likes them with freckles, so whatever I don't eat, he does. 

Respected Contributor

My wife read somewhere to slice a ripe banana and freeze it. Put it in a food processer until smooth. Put it an air tight container and keep in freezer. A cold banana treat. On type idea of healthy ice cream.

Super Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

Interesting !  Never tried it BUT

Wrap your celery in foil, store in fridge and it will last forever!

I read this somewhere a long time ago and have done it for years! It really works.

Yes, it does!  I have done this for quite some time also.  I wipe the celery dry (wash stalks when I'm ready to use),  and trim off both both ends.  Wrap in a piece of foil large enough to cover entire bunch and make sure both ends are sealed and store in vegetable bin.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Bananas will last a little longer if you separate them instead of leaving them in a bunch. 

@CalminHeart 

I seperate bananas here too-for at least 6 inches and keep them out of the warmest part of the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

@wismiss 

I just saw this information the other day while surfing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ9kBw8U69w