Esteemed Contributor

Has Anyone Made A Basque (Burnt) Cheesecake?

I saw Laura Vitale make this a couple days ago.  It's on her website.  I had never heard of it. I've made tons of cheesecakes over the years but not this.

There is no crust and it's baked at 425 degrees, no water bath. The top gets very carmalized (hence the burnt part) and she said a room temp it's a cross between a custard/flan/cheesecake and cold it's the creamiest cheesecake ever.

It is not the prettiest cheesecake but it sounds great.  

Last night DD, the non-cook,  said "we have to make that this weekend."  lol  She hates to cook but even she can do this.

Has anyone ever made one?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Made A Basque (Burnt) Cheesecake?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 I have not made one, but I am now intrigued.  I'm going to look this up and perhaps make it for a Super Bowl party.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian   The Laura Vitale recipe is just the usual suspects, 4 bricks of cream cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt,  and a lot of heavy cream (not whipping cream).

A small amount of flour.

It's very liquidity, lol.

I have a 9" springform, but she used a 10".  I am getting the larger pan, don't want to mess it up guessing how long to bake it in smaller pan.  She sprayed pan and overlapped parchment paper in the pan and sprayed again to prevent sticking.

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Thank You!  I need to measure my pan, but I think I have the size she used.  I'm definitely making this for the party.  I will totally give you credit for the idea.  You'll be feted in the middle of Iowa on Sunday during the Super Bowl.  Giggles.  My friends are going to squeal over this.

Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian  Gosh, I hope it lives up to what I read.  Give the credit to Laura Vitale.  Her site is Laura In The Kitchen.  I just stumbled across it.

She has videoes for all of her recipes. Sometimes at night I check out her recipes and watch the videoes.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , @Misplaced Parisian 

OMG, this looks so delicious!

Basque Cheesecake

https://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/basque-cheesecake/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I think it looks delish too!  

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@KingstonsMom  I think it looks delish too!  

What time is the super bowl party, my fork's ready!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Thank you, thank you for posting the photo and link to the recipe.  I didn't know how to do it.

Like I said, it's not the prettiest cheesecake but it looks wonderful when she cuts it.

She has some recipes DD and I want to try. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

You're welcome and thank you for your OP!

I'm still looking at the recipes on her site and so far there are several I want to try too.

Right now, the Pecan Pie Brownies have caught my eye, LOL!