Honored Contributor

Harden Liquid Grease To Solid?

I haven't watched Shark Tank since it was new, but a product from them that hardens liquid grease to easily throw away is now available.

FryAway Pan Fry Cooking Oil Solidifier, Easy Oil Disposal, 4 Packets

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Harden Liquid Grease To Solid?

@ECBG,  I'm pretty sure I know what prompted your post and if I'm correct my interest was piqued enough to do a little research.

The product is available on Amazon and has pretty good reviews and sales.  There are also similar products offered.

I am going to try to find out if it works at all with cold oil.  If it even works moderately with cold oil it will be purchased.  I'm the first to admit to being clumsy due to hand issues and if I happen to spill oil...

I don't use a lot of oil but when I do and have to discard it the idea of dumping a solid into the garbage rather than pouring a liquid appeals to me.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp 

Our grocery chain sent out an advertisement for this item.

We have liquid oil on occasion, but use an empty bottle.

Respected Contributor

@Marp  The directions say to use with hot oil

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG, that is what I thought prompted your post.  Same souce for piquing my interest.

Honored Contributor

I use so little liquid oil these days.  Just last night I decided to cook up sone pot stickers and it called for 3 Tbs in a pan.  I didn't measure and I'm sure I didn't use 3 Tbs, but it really smelled and smelled up the kitchen.  I think it had turned rancid.  This was canola oil.  I usually use either olive oil or avocado oil.  Not sure why I didn't grab one of those.  Usually, there's not enough left in the pan to pour out.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes @Janey2, I'm aware the instructions say hot oil but thinking ahead I'm wondering if it would work at all if the oil is cool or only warm.  In that regard I'm thinking of large spills, not drips.

Honored Contributor

@Marp @Icegoddess 

We spray more than anything else!

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Marp  The directions say to use with hot oil

@Janey2 

"Hot" oil certainly makes it less convenient!

Esteemed Contributor

If you add baking soda to oil and stir it a bit, a thick paste will form that is very easy to discard with your regular trash. I don't know the price of the products mentioned here, but baking soda is cheeeap.  Smiley Wink