Honored Contributor

Re: Good deal on Instant Pot

@Nonametoday That's ok, Hon!  Live and learn, lol!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Here is how i do ribs in Instant Pot:

• Buy a rack of pork ribs, either baby back or St. Louis style ( which I buy usually cheaper). 
  • Take off the silverskin membrane   on the back starting it with a paring knife and the using a paper towel to grip it and peel it off. You don't have to do this but I do as it makes it more tender,
  • Use your favorite dry rub or make your own and completely cover front and back. If you rather, just salt and pepper. Totally up to you. The beauty of the Instant Pot is that it infuses flavor into the meat. My mom used to boil ribs but this is such a good thing re pressure cooking.
  • Add the rack that comes with your pot.
  • I pour 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup water in the bottom. This liquid can be anything you want. All vinegar, all water, a beer, apple juice, chicken broth etc., ...as long as you have a cup. I love the vinegar.
  • You can coil your ribs on its side into the pot. I prefer to cut the rack into four pieces and stack, they are easier to handle I found.. Just stack them up in top of each other, bigger pieces on the bottom.
  • Set it on high pressure 30-35 min. I prefer 35.
  • Take rimmed baking sheet and line with foil completely..
  • When the ribs timer is done do a natural pressure release ( i do not quick release proteins ).
  • I move my oven rack to the second rung from the top and turn on the broiler to preheat it.
  • When the natural release is done, I take tongs and put the cut pieces  of the rack on the foiled baking sheet. I like sauce so I slather them with my fav Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. You can do front and back but I don't bother with both sides.
  • Put them under the broiler to brown the sauce and get as finished as you like. Keep an eye on it. I think I do 4-5 min, you may do less or more depending on the sauce and thickness of it.  You can flip them ( if you do flip, start with front side down and then flip right side up) but I don't bother.

I am so glad I have leftovers tonight my mouth is watering typing this out. 

@LizzieInSRQ   Thanks for the recipe!  I'm going to try this out the next time DS is home!  It sounds delicious!

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@ScrapHappy i think many of us put is away for a month or two before using it. It can seem intimidating. 

What I did is figure out what I was going to cook first.

I decided to start very simple and cook chicken breast that I could use for salad, sandwich and chicken salad.

I got my groceries and picked an afternoon where I didn't have anything to do. 

I took out everything from the box. I put the box and packing away ( helps not to have a cluttered mind).

I laid everything out and read instruction book part  cover to cover, getting to know it and the parts that are  washable etc. Really important to feel confident, read all of it and do the test. It helps to understand how it works to be able to create and feel flexible later. 

I also went to YouTube. I am the type that likes opinions on how others do things and also to see what I've read in action. I looked up 4 chicken breast videos and watched them. 

I love this machine. It has inspired me to cook more and to understand it's benefits. I don't use it for everything but I'm certainly cooking things I might not normally. I'm single so I didn't often make things like sloppy Joes or spaghetti sauce or other things that usually take a ling time to get a cooked all day taste.

I encourage you to take it out and play with it or at least look stuff up on YouTube you would like to make. Thousands of recipes online too. You don't have to buy a cook book. Just put into a search something you want to make and add the words intant pot after it and there is usually a recipe. 

Once I was comfy, I used it. Knowledge is power. Enjoy!

I did take it out of the box and run the test.  I've been looking on line for recipes.  I've watched sevreal YouTube videos but many of the videos are for the later model Instantpot which has different knobs and features so when it says "press "x" to start cooking" and I don't have "x", I don't know what function to use to cook.  I've read the manual a couple of times.  It's just okay, not that helpful.  I've tried googling recipes for the Evo Duo Plus but nothing really comes up.  My sister told me there is a huge following on Facebook so I plan on looking into that.

Valued Contributor

If you're on Facebook, I'd recommend joining the Instant Pot community. there are so many people on there that offers great recipes, tips and tricks. 

Valued Contributor

The instant pot 6 quart I bought on the Q has been a good buy.  I am surprised how easy it is to clean the stainless steel inner pot.  I thought food would stick more to it.   It seems to pressurize rather quickly too which is nice.  I made beef tips for the first time in it yesterday.  They came out great.   Used high pressure for 15 minutes then gave it a natural release for another 10 minutes (as recommended by the Blue Jean Chef cookbook).  Some online recipes was saying to pressure cook for 30 minutes or more, good grief,  glad I didn't follow that advice, lol.   

Honored Contributor

Kohl's had it for 89 and only in black (eww) think it was Kohl's may had been Bed and Bath. I get so many catalogs I lose track. LOL