Esteemed Contributor

Gingersnaps Cookie Question

[ Edited ]

I found quite a few recipes online for Ginergersnaps - all of the recipes called for the same ingredients and almost identical with the amounts. I cut the recipe in half so I would end up with about 2 1/2 dozen for the two of us. The problem was the dough - it was more like the batter for a quick bread. No way could I have rolled the "dough" into balls - I ended up refrigerating it for a couple of hours and then just dropped small amounts onto my baking sheet. They turned out flat, but are very tasty. What happened? Any ideas? The recipe called for oil rather than butter or crisco. Wet ingredients were the oil, egg and a small amount of molasses. I double checked the amount of each ingredient since I only made half the recipe. I'm baffled!

Note: sorry this is in the Kitchen section....I thought I had it in Recipes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gingersnaps Cookie Question

[ Edited ]

Every ginger snap I ever ate was flat.  Did you expect them to be otherwise? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, the flat cookie wasn't a problem for me. My question had to do with "dough" that was like quick bread batter, and that couldn't be rolled into balls like the recipe instructed. I'm wondering if perhaps crisco would have made a more substantial dough. I'm sorry if I didn't make my question very clear.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@Kachina624, the flat cookie wasn't a problem for me. My question had to do with "dough" that was like quick bread batter, and that couldn't be rolled into balls like the recipe instructed. I'm wondering if perhaps crisco would have made a more substantial dough. I'm sorry if I didn't make my question very clear.

——————

Hate to say it but you need the Crisco. It will also help to add that “snap”. 

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1    It's a little unusual to make cookies with oil.  Most use solid shortening or butter.  You did the right thing by refrigerating the dough.  If you get another yen for Gingersnaps, I'd find a better recipe. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@tucsongaland @Kachina624, thank you. I've added crisco to my shopping list. I appreciate your help.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 - It definitely sounds like something was off in the recipe you used; when I'm making gingersnaps, the dough is stiff yet pliable—certainly not something that would be comparable to a quick bread batter. There are different styles of gingersnaps, so recommending a recipe is a little tricksy without knowing your preferences, but if you Google "King Arthur Gingersnaps," you'll find my favorite version. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@loriqvc, thank you....I definitely didn't have a stiff batter! I'll check out the King Arthur website for your recipe. I appreciate it.

Trusted Contributor

I  had a difficult time finding gingr snaps in several local grocery stores and thought about baking some.  Thanks for the baking tips; they will come in handy if I try baking my own .

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc   I’m also going to try the King Arthur gingersnap recipe.  It was the best cookie my grandma made us years ago.  We didn’t have her recipe.  

Thank you!  Love to hear when someone has a great recipe after trying several.