Honored Contributor

Re: Getting cut and bleeding should be an instant disqualification.

the cooking shows that i watch usually have a medic there.......they clean and dress the wound as needed......sometimes while the chef is still preparing and cooking the dish.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

On 2/22/2015 house_cat said:

I love the cooking shows, but I think the contestants should be disqualified when they are bleeding. Putting a rubber glove on the wound is not sufficient, in my opinion.

Why do you suppose they allow the contestants to continue when they're bleeding?

I agree with you! I am baffled by how they are allowed to continue. I know I surely would not eat the food! On a scary note, we know this happens in restaurants all the time!

If it is a finger, they often put on one of those "finger condoms" (sorry...we jokingly call them that in our family).

Honored Contributor

When I have seen this happen, they don't dress the cut at all....just throw a glove over it. They shouldn't be allowed to keep handling food IMO
Valued Contributor

I have watched Chopped a lot and I think on that show it is up to the contestant to call over a medic or try to bandage it themselves. With the time constriction, unless it is really bad, most throw on a bandaid and a glove and continue. Sometimes they bleed through the bandaid and into the glove and yes it is very off-putting. I have even seen plates served to the judges that had blood on them! Needless to say, those contestants are chopped because the judges can't taste the food.
Super Contributor

I love Chopped but wish they would not show them getting cut and the blood. I get weak at the sight of blood and to see it on a plate of food is really sickening. I've seen shows where there are drops or smears of blood on a plate too.

They can edit the accident out and tell viewers what happened.

I agree that they should not continue on if they're bleeding in the glove...i feel faint now......

Honored Contributor

It's not a restaurant and they aren't serving food to the public. Accidents happen to the bet of chefs. A cut is not a big deal unless the finger actually falls off into the food.

Trusted Contributor

Cuts and burns happen when cooking. It is par for the course, and it happens to even the best of chefs. Quite frankly, it is impressive that these things do not happen more often.

Medics are on set and wounds are covered. Instant disqualification seems silly when the ability to recover is actually a testament to the chef's skills and abilities to work under pressure and stress.

If the idea of seeing someone cut himself or herself in a cooking competition offends your sensibilities, perhaps these shows are not for you. To edit them out or pretend they do not happen is choosing to embrace ignorance and akin to the ostrich sticking its head in the ground.

Trusted Contributor

Every 3rd show.....hmmm.
Honored Contributor

On 2/24/2015 KYToby said:

Cuts and burns happen when cooking. It is par for the course, and it happens to even the best of chefs. Quite frankly, it is impressive that these things do not happen more often.

Medics are on set and wounds are covered. Instant disqualification seems silly when the ability to recover is actually a testament to the chef's skills and abilities to work under pressure and stress.

If the idea of seeing someone cut himself or herself in a cooking competition offends your sensibilities, perhaps these shows are not for you. To edit them out or pretend they do not happen is choosing to embrace ignorance and akin to the ostrich sticking its head in the ground.

That's my point - this doesn't always happen. Those of us who wish not to see blood-filled gloves are not "embracing ignorance". The least they can do is insist that the injured person take the time to be bandaged before continuing to cook.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

As a nurse practitioner, I would prefer to see the medics clean the wound, bandage it, and then put on a glove. However, if they are still bleeding through the band aid, I think they should at least double glove, as latex and vinyl gloves can leak. Here is an interesting little abstract about a study done on leakage of latex and vinyl gloves:

<h1>Leakage of latex and vinyl exam gloves in high and low risk clinical settings.</h1>
Abstract

"The purpose of this study was to compare leakage rates of used latex and vinyl examination gloves from high and low risk clinical units. A total of 4838 latex and 1008 vinyl examination gloves were collected and tested by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) watertight leak test: three brands of latex [Brand A: n = 2920; Brand B: n = 284; Brand C: n = 1634; and one brand of vinyl gloves (Brand D: n = 1008]. Seventy percent of latex gloves and 46.7% of vinyl gloves were collected from the high risk units. In general, there were no significant differences in leakage rates for vinyl gloves between high and low risk units. However, latex gloves leaked significantly more often at stress levels 2 and 3 from the high risk units as compared to the low risk units (X2 = 24.6, p < .0001). Regardless of level of stress and duration worn, 85.3% (860/1008) of used vinyl gloves and 18.4% (891/4838) of used latex gloves leaked, p < .001). There were significant differences in leakage rates between the three brands of latex gloves (Brand A, 9.8%; Brand B, 25.1%; Brand C, 30.9%, p < .001). Although latex gloves leaked slightly more frequently as stress level increased, glove material (latex or vinyl) and brand of glove were the most important predictors of leakage."

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion