Trusted Contributor

Re: Getting cut and bleeding should be an instant disqualification.

I agree with you, this grosses me out, too. Also, when they sweat and it drips off their face, nose, chin, forehead, etc. into the food. Or, they wipe their sweat with the towel and then go on to use that towel in the kitchen or to wipe off the plates before serving. I used to work in a restaurant and do know how much gross stuff goes on in a kitchen, but I am still amazed just watching how frequently this happens on TV and it doesn't even register with the "chef" that it is gross. Who wants to eat other people's sweat and/or blood. What human doesn't know that is gross and WRONG??????

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

As long as the cut is safely covered with rubber gloves, there's no reason the contestant shouldn't continue cooking! I'd hate to see a contestant disqualified because of a common minor kitchen injury after all the work and travel that has brought them to the contest! Kitchen cuts happen to all cooks sometimes, and most of us care for and cover the cut and go right on preparing our meal.

Trusted Contributor

Chopped is a show and not a restaurant. If the judges don't care, why should we? After all, they're the ones who are eating the food. I don't know a lot about restaurants, but I bet this goes on all the time. Oh well, another thing to worry about. LOL!

Honored Contributor

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

the mere thought of this makes me sick!!! And to watch it on mationwide tv - just bloody disgusting I say!

Trusted Contributor

I thought of this thread last night while cleaning and bandaging my finger after I sliced into said finger while slicing onions. It took me a good five minutes to clean the finger, then bandage it. (And then I donned a glove on that hand because I didn't want to get the bandage all "onion-y".)

I don't see the need for instant disqualification if a contestant cuts him/herself. Clean it up and move on.

Trusted Contributor

How would you like to be one of the judges that has to eat that stuff.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Frequent Contributor

Those miscreants should be given severe floggings!!!!!!

Regular Contributor

On 2/24/2015 Havarti said:

I agree with you, this grosses me out, too. Also, when they sweat and it drips off their face, nose, chin, forehead, etc. into the food. Or, they wipe their sweat with the towel and then go on to use that towel in the kitchen or to wipe off the plates before serving. I used to work in a restaurant and do know how much gross stuff goes on in a kitchen, but I am still amazed just watching how frequently this happens on TV and it doesn't even register with the "chef" that it is gross. Who wants to eat other people's sweat and/or blood. What human doesn't know that is gross and WRONG??????

Have you ever watched Wolfgang Puck on HSN?

You just described him.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

Once, on chopped, a guy cut his hand and it bled into the food, but he continued to cook. The judges did not eat his food, and he was gone.

I also find it offensive that cooks let their perspiration fall into the food. I have heard that if people knew what goes on in a kitchen, no one would eat out.

Honored Contributor

ITA