Trusted Contributor

Germack nuts or Ferris nuts?

I'm 100 pounds overweight, and my Nutritionist recommended I cut out potato chips, soda pop,  and ice cream.  She said switch to nuts as a snack.

Which brand do you recommend?   Germack on QVC or Ferris on HSN?

What is your favorite nut blend?

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Germack nuts or Ferris nuts?

@EatWell  I doubt your nutritionist had fried, salted nuts in mind.  Try the produce department of your grocery store. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I agree. Also the dried fruit can be very high in sugar grams (found that out when I got my diabetes diagnosis) so be sure to keep an eye out on that as well.

Don't know if you have a Publix grocery store, but they have a wonderful nut selection in their produce section. They have fresh "naked" almonds, among other kind of nuts. Very good for you.

Also, congratulations on your weight loss! I saw on another thread where you lost 50 lbs and that is AMAZING. I think it's great that you are working with a nutritionist too!

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Valued Contributor

If you want to order online try nuts - dot - com

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry no one actually answered your question.  I like Ferris nuts.  I lost 25 lbs from watching the carbs (cereals, sandwiches, etc.)   And I eat nuts every day - in moderation.  I think you just have to watch your portions.  

Best wishes in your continued weight loss.  

Trusted Contributor

Ferris nuts are awesome. If you get the unsalted Cherry Berry Mix, that would be a healthier choice since they aren't salted. I order them for my son as well....he's always happy when the box arrives.

Best of luck on your weight loss program. Hang in there, don't give up and remember everything in moderation. Don't deny yourself a treat once in awhile. I lost 88 lbs. and have kept it off for 10 years.

Please keep us updated with your success. 😊👍

Honored Contributor

Having just  tried Germack nuts for the first time (the recent TSV), while I like them, I have to say I think Ferris brand is better.  That's just my experience.  I do think a lot of it is personal preference, so perhaps you should try both and then decide.

I also like Second Nature that I can get at T.J. Maxx.  They sell different mixtures (including unsalted) and they're a good deal - a bag of 15 individual portions for $8.99 where I am.  The other benefit is that with an individual bag, I eat one and then stop.  With the jars and bigger bags.....I'm afraid I just keep eating!  Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

Thought I'd warn everyone to NOT eat too many nuts. Several years ago, I ate roasted nuts from Costco and was in the worst pain. It developed diverticulitis and was in the hospital for 6 days.

A few months ago, I started eating nuts again - and had a recurrence - eating mixed nuts. Very painful.

It also happened to my neighbor - and she wound up at the doctor.

I now switched to chocolate!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I buy the unsalted mixed nuts at CVS , they are tasty and reasonably priced. It is not east to find unsalted.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I'll answer your question and I promise I won't lecture you, LOL.

Both Germack and Ferris have unsalted versions of their cherry berry and nut mixes.  You can't go wrong with either, IMO.  I've been on A/D for the Germack for a few years now and I've never been disappointed.

I think you'd be happy with either.  Since raw nuts are the ones that doctors recommend for healthier eating, there probably wouldn''t be much difference in the taste anyway.

Good luck!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James